PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need printer

nubimax
May 28th, 2009, 04:18 AM
will a hp F4280 multi printer work with ubuntu my list of printers does not list this one I live in the wilds of Mexico and is hard to find many electronic devices and I need it to work another computer thanks
M

Didius Falco
May 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM
will a hp F4280 multi printer work with ubuntu my list of printers does not list this one I live in the wilds of Mexico and is hard to find many electronic devices and I need it to work another computer thanks
M

Welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

The hp F4280 will work under Ubuntu 8.04.

Here is a link to an Open Source driver for it, complete with an installation guide:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html

What o/s is the other computer running? Do you have them networked?

If they are networked, you can use Samba to set it up to share with the other PC.

Here is a PDF file to help you set up Samba.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

I hope this helps...

Regards,

Didius

freeman2000
May 28th, 2009, 05:49 AM
The HP printer will work on 8.04 up to 9.10 alpha. Also go to System --> Admin --> Synaptic and download/install the following packages: "hplip", "hplip-data", and "hplip-gui". This will give you a graphical interface to use with HP printers. Good luck.

jimmy the saint
May 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Yeah, hplip should be installed by default. You should not need to install anything. If you connect with usb, it may even be automatically detected when you plug it in.

Sef
May 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM

HP LInux Imaging (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet_aio/deskjet_f4200_series.html)site says it is plug in and play. If it doesn't then you need to update the driver from the HP site.

nubimax
May 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
thank you everyone my other computer is toshiba L355-s7837 my problem is that I can only go on line with this one my internet provider will only suport mc visa, xp, and mac osx os but I much perfer using ubuntu for writing I just use a stick to transfer e-mails to the toshiba for sending
M

freeman2000
May 29th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Is this a new question? Or just a comment? If it's a new question, please start a new thread and try to make your question a little clearer (not poking fun as I assume English is not your main language). Good luck.

bennachie
May 29th, 2009, 04:19 AM
The HP 4280 should indeed be plug-and-play (worked for me).

ISPs often guarantee to provide technical advice ("support") only to Windows and Mac OSX users, but that doesn't prevent you from accessing the internet through their systems. Except for 56k dial-up access through software-based modems, Ubuntu is now very capable in that respect.

I agree with the previous respondent - if you want to explore this separate issue further, open a new thread, and give us details about your computers and the ISP that you want to access. Somebody will be along to help!

nubimax
May 30th, 2009, 11:12 PM
freeman 2000 just a comment
M

3rdalbum
May 31st, 2009, 06:41 AM
Your ISP will only guarantee that its service will work on Windows, but chances are that you can connect on Linux (unless there is weird hardware involved).

Create a new post on here and give details of what ISP you are with and what sort of connection it is (dial-up, ADSL, cable, satellite, wireless broadband). I'm sure somebody would be able to help you.