PDA

View Full Version : [other] What is Fluxbuntu like?

BZF
May 28th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I just want to know cus i heard about it and i don't know much about it. What is it like?

Locutus_of_Borg
May 28th, 2009, 03:08 AM
ubuntu with the fluxbox window manager as opposed to gnome/kde/xfce

sudo apt-get install fluxbox

then choose fluxbox session at the login screen to see what it is like

i like it, it's quick, but i prefer openbox

BZF
May 28th, 2009, 03:13 AM
if i already did on my ubuntu "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" can i still do "apt-get install fluxbox"?

Didius Falco
May 28th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Hi,

Yes, you can install as many different desktops as you like, and just choose between them at the login screen under Options.

Regards,

Didius

BZF
May 28th, 2009, 03:35 AM
thanks, i'll do it now

bikodog
May 28th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Just installed flux...very interesting. A very clean desktop environment.

snowpine
May 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Fluxbuntu was not just "Ubuntu + Fluxbox." It was a separate distro (not officially supported by Canonical) that used fluxbox, a *very* lightweight suite of applications (kazekahase for browsing, xmms for music, rox for file managing, etc), and stripped out a lot of unneeded services. It was much "lighter" than even Xubuntu. I also really liked its artwork.

I use the past tense because the latest release of Fluxbuntu is 7.10 Gutsy, which is no longer supported. The currently active project that I feel is closest to Fluxbuntu is AntiX (based on mepis/debian). As far as a lightweight Ubuntu derivative, you really can't go wrong with CrunchBang (openbox instead of fluxbox).

Sam the Wizer
May 30th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I just started using crunchbang and really like it.

Wiebelhaus
May 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I just want to know cus i heard about it and i don't know much about it. What is it like?

For a fantastic introduction check out:

Fluxbuntu (http://www.fluxbuntu.org/)

Download an old but stable 7.10 (http://releases.fluxbuntu.org/7.10/rc/)

I spoke with a dev last week and he said essentially that it's on pause right now but will be moving forward once a few interested parties are recruited.

This is my favorite side project and I love Fluxbox and will help them in anyway I can!