PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Static/Fuzzy/Grainy Appearance

moonshyne222
May 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Ok, so, obviously, I'm new to Linux, and have nfi about anything. I've had some people help me out with certain little things, but there's an issue no one's been able to help me with. I'll do my best to explain it:

Ever since I loaded Linux onto my POS Acer Aspire 3004WLCi, I've had a static/fuzzy/grainy appearance on anything that's not black or white. It comes and goes, but mostly it comes and hardly goes away.

-on the color purple, it looks blue.
-on the color orange, it looks pink.
-it's constantly moving, like the static on a tv does.

If I have one of the default background images up (that normally looks like a watercolor painting), it almost looks like a geode.

I've let the issue slide for the past few weeks, but I finally figured out how to use wine and put WoW on, and I don't even dare re-activate my account until I can actually see and make sense of what's on the screen.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

I've tried:
Changing resolution
Shutting down and restarting
Hibernating and coming out of it
Maximizing a game to full-screen

and I'm at a loss.:(

If this issue has already been asked and answered, or at least been given suggestions, please direct me towards that thread.

Thanks!

CatKiller
May 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
It sounds more like a hardware problem than a software problem to me, especially because it comes and goes; a dodgy connection or a flaky component somewhere. Sorry.

stephanvaningen
May 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I have had a similar issue on an LCD display (not in a laptop) earlier and there I got info from the manufacturer that the BIOS-settings of the display itself needed to be reset (by pressing the + and - sign while powering on the display).

Of course, on a laptop this looks less obvious and less likely that that is the case, but this gives me the idea that like the previous poster says that it might be a hardware-related issue, maybe mechanical (cable/connection issue) or 'chipset' of LCD.

Have you tried a liveCD of Ubuntu or of another distribution?

ubigT
May 30th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I am having a very similar issue, but it is with all colors, my whole screen looks fuzzy and static-like. No colors are distorted though... i was trying to think of how i could rule out video card, moitor or software... any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I don't have any extra screens to test the image on.