PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] sda9 full

Mylorharbour
May 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hi guys,

I'm still trying to get to grips with the file system but I have a related problem. I'm running a multiboot system using Hardy on sda9 as my first choice. My problem is that I can't update it as the sda9 partition appears to be full. It's a 10Gb partition.

What do I need to do to see what's on that partition. My other distros, also on 10Gb partitions each seem to have about 6Gb free.

I try to store music & photos etc on other NTFS partitons so they're accessible from Windows too but I get the feeling some stuff is being stored on sda9 that shouldn't be.

Any ideas?

taurus
May 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM
You should consider emptying the trash bin since when you click something to delete, it just moved it over to the trash bin, taking up the same space. Also, clean out the cache too.

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove
df -h

Mark Phelps
May 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
What do I need to do to see what's on that partition. My other distros, also on 10Gb partitions each seem to have about 6Gb free.

Any ideas?

If it's not already installed, grab GParted from Synaptic and install it.

If it's an NTFS partition, make sure that ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs are also installed.

Then run the Partition Editor, open the drive, and you will see the space utilization of each partition.

Mylorharbour
May 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Taurus,
Too late I'm afraid. Now when I select Hardy (sda9) from Grub I get the Ubuntu banner then a DOS type screen with the message:

GDM could not write new authorisation entry to disk. Possibly out of disk space. Error: No space left on device.

Mark,
I ran Gparted before and could see that sda9 was full. It's an ext3 partition with Hardy on it. I just booted into Intrepid which is on sda8 and ran Gparted again which showed just 48Kb free on sda9.

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 01:10 AM
You said you have other distros? Boot up into one of those, mount sda9 and go clean out everything in /var/cache/apt. That might give you enough space to boot Ubuntu and do a bit of housekeeping from there.

Other places you could look for stuff to throw out would be /home/username/.thumbnails and /home/username/.local/share/Trash.

Mylorharbour
June 4th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks Paqman. I did that and was able to boot into Hardy. I then cleared the folders you suggested but there wasn't much in there.

Taurus, result of df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda9 9.8G 9.7G 0 100% /
varrun 1006M 104K 1006M 1% /var/run
varlock 1006M 0 1006M 0% /var/lock
udev 1006M 92K 1006M 1% /dev
devshm 1006M 12K 1006M 1% /dev/shm
lrm 1006M 39M 967M 4% /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile
/dev/sda6 110G 13G 92G 13% /home
/dev/sdb5 193G 292M 183G 1% /media/video_workspace
/dev/sdb6 271G 22G 249G 9% /media/Shared
overflow 1.0M 248K 776K 25% /tmp
gvfs-fuse-daemon 9.8G 9.7G 0 100% /home/roy/.gvfs
/dev/sdc1 233G 188G 46G 81% /media/Maxtor_External_____

As you can see sda9 is still almost full. How do I clean out the cache? Is that what i did when I cleared /var/cache/apt? There's also very little in the /tmp folder even when I view hidden files. I also tried sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

I'd still like to list all that's in sda9. Can it be done?

Cheers guys.

Volt9000
June 5th, 2009, 02:57 AM
One thing you can do is run Disk Usage Analyzer, which, when you scan a device, will give you a nice graphical representation of what's taking up space.

It's similar to the Windows program WinDirStat.

To start Disk Usage Analyzer just run from terminal:

gksu baobab

I think the gksu is necessary to access some root-owned stuff.

drs305
June 5th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Take a look at the linked guide in my signature line for Recovering 'Lost' Disk Space.

It has a series of steps you can take to search for the causes and provides remedies for many of the most common things which eat up disk space.

Mylorharbour
September 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks guys. I still couldn't get to the bottom of it but as I've now had the same problem on my laptop, running Intrepid, I delved a little deeper using drs305's disk space link.

On the laptop the sda7 mount point is /
sda7 is a 20Gb partition,
/home is sda8 but is largely unused as file storage is on an NTFS partition /media/Shared which shares files with WinXP in a dual boot configuration.

Now I'm still playing with linux apps so I've been downloading quite a few which I would have expected to be the root cause but here's what I've done to date to free up space.

I've deleted files in /var/cache/apt as Paqman says (for anyone else reading this do not delete the archives/partial folders nor the archives/lock file..... thanks Paqman) and deleted the trash which leaves me with 3.9Gb free on sda7. There is no root trash to delete. The Disk Usage Analyser, run as root with just sda7 (/) scanned shows / usage to be 3.5Gb so the question is what's using the rest of sda7? By the rest I mean 20Gb-(3.5Gb-3.9Gb)=12.6Gb

System Monitor/File Systems shows sda7 as ext3, Total 18.3Gb, Free 3.9Gb, Available 2.9Gb, Used 14.5Gb, 83% used. Why would the free and available figures be different?

I appear to be developing a blind spot for the linux filestem but I'll keep plugging away till one day when I believe I'll experience that eureka moment.

Thanks again guys

Mylorharbour
September 30th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Solved

Whatever I did to delete root's trash didn't work. The cause of my problem was that Simple Backup's default destination is /var/backups. Set to do daily backups it didn't take long to fill the 20Gb. I reckon I must have been logged in as root when I deleted these which put them into root's trash.

The most effective way to clear root's trash is:

gksu nautilus /root/.local/share

The command will open and display the Trash folder. Delete it using SHIFT-DEL. If you use DEL only it will only move it back to the same place. You can look at the contents of Trash if you want - you will find two folders - info & files. "files" will contain the actual deleted files.

Note: When you shift-delete the Trash folder, it and the subfolders will be removed. However, the next time root deletes something they will be recreated.

Thanks to drs305 for helping me with this.