PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to take my emails with me on the road?

tahitiwibble
May 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
My brain, as usual, is fuddled. A little more so right now because one of my daughters is needing me to accompany her abroad for unexpected and risky surgery. I can't afford to stop taking care of business during this period of absence. I don't have a laptop and so can't sync everything to it.

I use X-marks for my bookmarks which will take care of that.

What is the best way for me to take my Thunderbird email files with me and be able to use them wherever I might end up? not necessarily on a Ubuntu powered machine.

DGortze380
May 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM
My brain, as usual, is fuddled. A little more so right now because one of my daughters is needing me to accompany her abroad for unexpected and risky surgery. I can't afford to stop taking care of business during this period of absence. I don't have a laptop and so can't sync everything to it.

I use X-marks for my bookmarks which will take care of that.

What is the best way for me to take my Thunderbird email files with me and be able to use them wherever I might end up? not necessarily on a Ubuntu powered machine.

http://www.mail2web.com/

presence1960
May 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
copy your profile folder which is in /home/.mozilla-thunderbird to a flash drive or CD. when you get to a machine install Thunderbird. If it is a windows machine copy the Mail subfolder to the existing thunderbird profile. This folder contains all your mail. If it is an Ubuntu machine copy your entire profile back to .mozilla-thunderbird folder in /home

tahitiwibble
May 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Thank you very much for that DGortze380, a remarkable time-saver and will definitely be useful, I had no idea something like that existed. Nevertheless, I still need to have access to my past mails.

biglog
May 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable
Use on a flash drive, copy your folders across

tahitiwibble
May 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM
copy your profile folder which is in /home/.mozilla-thunderbird to a flash drive or CD. when you get to a machine install Thunderbird. If it is a windows machine copy the Mail subfolder to the existing thunderbird profile. This folder contains all your mail. If it is an Ubuntu machine copy your entire profile back to .mozilla-thunderbird folder in /home

Thank you presence1960, so my /home/dad/.mozilla-thunderbird/jg40ottu.default/Mail is completely platform independent. i.e. it will work on all OS's providing I can find the identically named folder after having installed Thunderbird?

fballem
May 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thank you presence1960, so my /home/dad/.mozilla-thunderbird/jg40ottu.default/Mail is completely platform independent. i.e. it will work on all OS's providing I can find the identically named folder after having installed Thunderbird?

The short answer is 'yes'.

On a Windows machine, you may have to locate the Thunderbird data once you have installed Thunderbird. It is found in the Documents and Settings\username\AppData folder (Windows XP) or Users\username\AppData folder (Windows Vista, Windows 7). These are normally hidden folders, so you may need to change the View options for the folder to Show Hidden Files.

Remember on a Linux machine that the .mozilla folder is a hidden folder. When the ~/home folder is displayed, say in Nautilus, ctrl-h will unhide these hidden folders.

Those of us who have converted to Linux from Microsoft Outlook are well aware of the ease of transporting Thunderbird files. To do the conversion, we install Thunderbird on Windows, import the outlook mail, save the Thunderbird files to an external drive. When we install Linux and Thunderbird, we can then copy the external Thunderbird files and we're good to go.

Hope this helps, and hope that you're daughter is okay! Prayers are with you both.

presence1960
May 28th, 2009, 12:02 AM

yes i took mine from windows when I came to ubuntu- worked perfectly!

tahitiwibble
May 28th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Thank you all, I'll probably do it everything suggested just in case, problem solved ........... fballem thank you very much!

tahitiwibble
May 28th, 2009, 12:16 AM
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable
Use on a flash drive, copy your folders across

Amazing! ..... thank you.

whitethorn
May 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I would just suggest a small addition to the thunderbird idea. If you plan on putting your thunderbird profile on a usb stick, create an encrypted file with Truecrypt and put your profile in there. You can mount it in linux and windows, and should you lose your usb stick other people won't be able to read your emails or access your data.

NHArticleTen
May 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
second on the http://www.truecrypt.org/

tahitiwibble
May 19th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I just recently ended up using this "KISSing" method :) http://kb.mozillazine.org/Synchronizing_mail_on_two_computers