PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password freezes me!

Albert Wesker
May 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry to bother everyone, just started with Ubuntu last night and I'm trying to add programs and drivers and I encountered this recently where when I am required to enter my password my computer freezes. Any idea how I can fix this and proceed with my Wista free life?

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware
on this I get to the screen where I enter the password and... freeze.

Sealbhach
May 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I've never seen that before. It's possible it might be something to do with the graphics. One thing to test is to try to install something from the command like. So open up a terminal and copy and paste this command into it:

sudo apt-get install glunarclock

This will install a little moon calendar on your bottom panel, this is just to test that things install correctly. If they do, then you probably have a graphics problem.

To open a terminal, go to the menu Applications>Accessories>Terminal

Albert Wesker
May 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Okay well it does seem to be a graphics problem, then. I was able to install fine in the terminal like you suggested.
What would be the next step to correct this problem? Or should I just get better a acquainted with the terminal, for a long long time...

Sealbhach
May 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Okay well it does seem to be a graphics problem, then. I was able to install fine in the terminal like you suggested.
What would be the next step to correct this problem? Or should I just get better a acquainted with the terminal, for a long long time...

You'll need your password for a lot of things, so maybe you could give us some idea of what hardware you have, what your graphics card is and how much RAM you have? It may be you have not enough RAM.

Albert Wesker
May 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Compaq CQ50-215NR
Microprocessor 1.90 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-60 Dual-Core Processo
Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 Cache
Memory 2048 MB
Memory Max Up to 4 MB DDR2
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
Video Memory Up to 895 MB
Hard Drive 160 GB (5400 rpm)
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN

Okay well that's the specs that I think are relevant, notice I really don't but I try and these are what they
are. I hoped 2 GB would be enough

NyteWyyrm
May 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Does it freeze when you hit 'OK' after you've entered your password, or before you even enter your password?

Sealbhach
May 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah, that hardware should run just fine with the full Ubuntu desktop. Is your graphics card enabled? Maybe there's driver problems with the nvidia driver.

Albert Wesker
May 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
First, I can't even enter my password.

2nd yeah I thought I installed my drivers properly but it freeze even when I turn off the effects.
System>Preference>Appearance> Visual Effect (none) = freeze = :(

Sealbhach
May 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Can anyone else think of anything to help?

orky7
May 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM
This freeze thing happens to me also but in my case when i was entering password and hitting enter after the suspend mode(stand by mode). I thing its some kind of rare bug....

NyteWyyrm
May 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Since we're running a little low for ideas, take a look at this page. I have actually experienced this with 8.04, but I'm not sure it is the case here. Never hurts to give it a shot, however.

http://www.joewein.net/blog/2008/05/17/update-manager-hangs-in-ubuntu-804-and-how-to-fix-it/