PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot problem GURB won't run

jfrelin
May 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
My computer has ubuntu (Jaunty) installed on a USB hard drive and Windows XP pro on the C: (it was installed first). When I power on the computer the GRUB Loader screen flashes and I get a Error21 that I guess means it can't find the rest of GRUB. If I CTL-Alt-del usually the GRUB will load fine, and I can choose the OS to boot. Everything works fine from here on.

When I restart, I almost always have the same problem as power on and need to CTL-ALT-DEL to get the OS choices

OK so annoying. When I installed VMware and try to power on it shows a disk not found error, so I assume there is still a problem looking for the GRUB file where its not.

Any ideas on how to fix this? C: is NTFS and the USB is ext3.

:(

linesma
May 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It sounds like GRUB is corrupted. The following link will tell you how to restore GRUB and make it work properly.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm?page=5

Granted, this tutorial is for installing Win XP on a machine that already has Ubuntu installed, but I have successfully used this tutorial to repair my GRUB, dual boot with Ubuntu and Win XP, after a power failure.

I hope this helps,

linesma