PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 fails to start properly

seseberg
May 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Toshiba satellite a305d-s6848 with 200gb sata hard drive.
Everything runs well inside ubuntu (which was installed on a separate partition on my hdd drive when I had it installed using a cd, cause now I got rid of it due to the problem) its just that everythime I restart, I get this freakin error.
The same error happens to me with Ubuntu 8.10, so I suspect it's a kernel bug or something that hasn't been fixed.
Usually the fix for this problem is booting up my windows 7, running a read-only, or, sometimes /f that requires a restart chkdsk, after which, interestingly, ubuntu boots up without the error.
what the h@ck is this?

albinootje
May 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Usually the fix for this problem is booting up my windows 7, running a read-only, or, sometimes /f that requires a restart chkdsk, after which, interestingly, ubuntu boots up without the error.

Do you have any entries in /etc/fstab that try to mount your MS-Windows partitions ?

Can you search in /var/log to see whether you can get a more detailed output of the errors ?
The photo is nice and might have enough info to search for more options, but copy and paste from the forum here is easier/faster for anyone who reads this.

albinootje
May 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
And can you run a long test with smartmontools and also run a test with "sudo badblocks -vv /dev/sda" ?

http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Downloads

seseberg
May 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
unfortunately, I was so annoyed by this that I got rid of Ubuntu back with 8.10 and now with 9.04, so I couldn't provide you with those files unfortunately.
I have tried getting info on google, and I got to some webpage with ubuntu booting degraded sata hard drives, but the thing is that my laptop is brand new, and I hate this at Ubuntu, that it has core-functionality bugs.........................

seseberg
May 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM
unfortunately, I don't have the os installed as of now....
I tried wubi and 9.04 64bit a month ago, and it kinda did the same thing too.........
I tried wubi with 32-bit 10 minutes ago, and it gives me errors as you can see in my other thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1171494

any ideas? at least on how to make ubuntu through wubi work?

albinootje
May 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I tried wubi and 9.04 64bit a month ago, and it kinda did the same thing too.........
I tried wubi with 32-bit 10 minutes ago, and it gives me errors as you can see in my other thread.

Why don't you use Ubuntu in VirtualBox instead ?
Wubi is meant for people wanting a quickly play with Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu inside VirtualBox you also won't have to deal with bootloader changes at all.

seseberg
May 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
the thing is that I need to dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh <username>@<computer-ip> 'dd of=iphonedump.img' and I'm not sure that a VirtualBox would do this easy............
plus, I've done it before and it worked (even though the starting up of ubuntu was the hardest thing, harder than recovering data...........)

seseberg
May 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I found this site claiming to have the solution
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git-commits-head/2008/6/14/2122314
could you help me implementing it please? thanks!