PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Files in my home directory got deleted and I cannot login

RealG187
May 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM
While doing my backups, I decided to make some folders on the backup drive symlink to to originals so the backup progaram doesn't nag me to back them up. (Worst comes to worse and I have to reinstall, then they will be there anyways, I just need to backup my personal files).

.cache
.config
.kde
I think those are the folders I did, but instead of deleting those folders on the backup and symlinking them to the originals, I ****ed up and deleted the originals and symlinked them to the backup. I thought the window that was the original was the backup (which is why there needs to be something like this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6891542) to I know which is which.

Now when I login I just get a black screen (My Desktop has a black background) and the mouse cursor/arrow and nothing happens. I can pick "Failsafe Gnome" as my session and I can login...

Sidewinder1
May 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Since no one has responded within 45 min., I'll give it a shot.
The last time I lost my desktop I rebooted into recovery mode and typed:

sudo apt-get install desktop
At least that's what I think I did.
Since, according to your profile, you're more experienced than I, you may, at least have an inkling weather this might work for you.
HTH,
Side

RealG187
May 28th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I made a new acount. Somethings are still messed up...