PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help installing Aris

Gamefreak94
May 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hi all,
I'm an absolute beginner to Ubuntu, only installed v9.04 on a VM earlier today to get used to it before I finally tri-boot it with XP and Windows 7. The main problem so far is installing applications, particularly the download manager Aris, which isn't in the software repositories.

I downloaded a .tar.bz2 archive of Aris from SourceForge, extracted it, and opened INSTALL and followed the instructions to the dot! which were:

1) Navigate to the extracted folder using cd command
2) Execute "./configure"
3) Execute "make" to compile it
4) Execute "install" to install it
5) Delete all temp files using 2 other commands (can't remember what they were)

Everything went smoothly and the operation completed successfully.....except that there's no sign of Aris anywhere o_0 Neither in the Applications menu, nor in Add/Remove Programs. I restarted Ubuntu as well, but still no dice.

I think it might have to do with the fact that compiling wasn't needed, but then again, why did the "make" command eecute properly if compilation wasn't needed? I'm pretty confused. My Internet connection is pretty choppy and I want to run WINE. Only thing is that the download file in 40MB and I can only download files <10MB with a strong download manager which has resume support and makes multiple connections (like DAP in Windows). So any help here?

Thansk in advance!

TeoBigusGeekus
May 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Open a terminal, type aris and see what happens.

Gamefreak94
May 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm getting an error:

Bash: aris: command not found" :(