PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] a video editing program

wlraider70
May 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I need a program that can...

record live video
save in various formats
burn to DVD
let me save audio in to a mp3 would be a bonus.

also i want to use a pinnacle usb capture box, if you know anything about that working or not working, that would be awesome

thanks.

Bölvağur
May 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
please remember that you are wanting to accomplish a task, so asking for 1 program that does everything is limiting. Rather ask for anything that does anything on the list you have :P
People will point out if there are programs that do all of it, but to be honest, those kind of programs are not specialized at everything they do so... go with the ones with the famous unix theory of how to do stuff... each program has 1 job and does it very well.

btw.. record live video from where? webcam? desktop grab?

wlraider70
May 27th, 2009, 03:56 AM
thats very true. in that case i need to accomplish those things.

I need to record a video source, similar to a TV signal.
I don't want any frame drop, and i need to save into a format that i can edit later.

Bölvağur
May 28th, 2009, 03:06 AM
save in various formats
let me save audio in to a mp3 would be a bonus.

I use cinerella (they might have changed names of the project or have a better project that branched out from it)
you can save mp3 or what ever audio format you want, I always use ogg and ogv because of the file size and good quality, but I guess other formats can get tweaked to be similarly good, better or worse.

burn to DVD
gnomeBaker

recording.... not sure. sorry

BZF
May 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM
for recording use Kino, it works great for me. works with capture cards and firewire/dv

Bölvağur
May 28th, 2009, 03:30 AM
for recording use Kino, it works great for me. works with capture cards and firewire/dv
oh yeah.. I totally forgot.. I also use Kino to transelate from ogv to avi before editing screen capture vidoes. Somehow with no compression it avoids any lag or anomolies in the final product (compared if the compressed files are manipulated instead of the uncomrpessed versions)

BZF
May 28th, 2009, 03:34 AM
kino works great, it doesn't have all the effects and video titles, but its great for simple video editing and importing