PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI display 3D problem...

melrokz
May 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Hi, I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 for my friend who has an ATI mobility radeon hd 2600 card. I've installed the fglrx driver from ati and the ati catalyst control center and also activated the driver. Why can't desktop effects be enabled?

melrokz
May 27th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Help! I ran xfix from recovery mode, and even the login screen looks blank or has a wierd look !

Yvan300
May 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM
That's a pretty sweet card but most likely the ATI driver may be the problem. Remember that linux is not main stream, so for the ATI team creating drivers is just some unnecessary side job. That is why some drivers are never updated and also the reason why a lot of cards have been dropped for driver support. They try to provide as much qualtiy as they can within their given time period. Your alternative is to try Jaunty (if you haven't already). The open source drivers are said to be better than the previous ones. I myself was able to enable desktop effects using the freee driver. So just give it a try and let's see what's the outcome.

melrokz
May 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM
still no desktop effects... with the previous free driver.

Michael Dooley
May 27th, 2009, 06:05 AM
This thread (http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764633) might help you a bit.