PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues with new version

gemone
May 27th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hello,
I have been having issues with the new version of Ubuntu. Every time I try to select something on the desktop with the mouse. There is no response from my selection. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks

CadetD
May 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Describe "no selection".

I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem since the upgrade whereas there is a 2-3 second delay between a mouse click and actual action.

I upgraded to the latest ATI drivers (there doesnt seem to be any FGLRX with 9.04...) but that was not the problem.

AMD 64 Ubuntu Studio if that makes a difference.

gemone
May 27th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Describe "no selection".

I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem since the upgrade whereas there is a 2-3 second delay between a mouse click and actual action.

I upgraded to the latest ATI drivers (there doesnt seem to be any FGLRX with 9.04...) but that was not the problem.

AMD 64 Ubuntu Studio if that makes a difference.

Everything on the desktop. Ex; Mozilla and places.

gemone
May 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Does anyone know what the problem may be? As I stated before I cannot select anything on my desktop. No matter how many times I press the button on my mouse.

Sef
May 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM
gemone Does anyone know what the problem may be? As I stated before I cannot select anything on my desktop. No matter how many times I press the button on my mouse.

Can you select something from Applications, Places, or System?

If not, then maybe your mouse is bad. Do you have another mouse that you can plug in or another computer that you could try the mouse on?

hal8000
May 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
This maybe some option in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file relating to input device.
Try booting with the live jaunty CD, if that works ok, save the xorg.conf file for comparison with your installed installation, there may have been some subtle changes.

I never upgrade, always run an old and new version in parallel, this way I can thoroughly test my system before deleting the old one.

gemone
May 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Can you select something from Applications, Places, or System?

If not, then maybe your mouse is bad. Do you have another mouse that you can plug in or another computer that you could try the mouse on?
It's not the mouse I already tried that option yesterday.

gemone
May 27th, 2009, 10:40 PM
This maybe some option in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file relating to input device.
Try booting with the live jaunty CD, if that works ok, save the xorg.conf file for comparison with your installed installation, there may have been some subtle changes.

I never upgrade, always run an old and new version in parallel, this way I can thoroughly test my system before deleting the old one.
I don't have the jaunty cd. I probably will uninstall and use the earlier version.

Grafixx01
May 27th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Did you do a fresh install or upgrade? I had XP Pro on my OQO and then put on Ubuntu and I didn't have any issues. When I did the same on my Dell Desktop, I had issues but then I just swapped to two separate hard drives and then the problems were gone, after the updates of course.

gemone
May 29th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Did you do a fresh install or upgrade? I had XP Pro on my OQO and then put on Ubuntu and I didn't have any issues. When I did the same on my Dell Desktop, I had issues but then I just swapped to two separate hard drives and then the problems were gone, after the updates of course.
I tried a fresh install and update and I got the same results. I most likely will have to go back to the previous version.