PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NTFS partition gone after restoring MBR

The_Bash
May 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
To make a dual boot (ubuntu/windows) I repartitioned my drive using a live CD. I followed this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot#Issues%20with%20Windows%20XP%20and %20NTFS) (click to open) guide. After installing Windows, I rebooted with the live CD and restored my MBR (which I backed up earlier) with the 'dd' command. Then I wanted to add Windows to my Grub but to my surprise, my windows (NTFS) partition is gone. In gparted there is only 1 main drive which is the full size of my disk. The partition I created and installed Windows on appears to be gone. I didn't remove it, so I'm guessing Gparted is wrong. Any tips on how to solve this?

ronparent
May 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
This is totally puzzling. The only thing I can think of is that in attepting to restore the mbr you may have also restored the original partition table? I wouldn't think this was possible. If this were the case you would have effectively wiped out the new windows partition.

I would suggest that if you install windows again that you simply use the grub commands find /boot/grub/stage1, root (hd0,0) (or whatever your output from the prior command is) and setup (hd0). That in itself would restore grub to the mbr. Then you could gedit menu.lst to add your windows installation. Good luck.

coffeecat
May 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
This is totally puzzling. The only thing I can think of is that in attepting to restore the mbr you may have also restored the original partition table? I wouldn't think this was possible.

Unfortunately, I believe this is eminently possible or at least something like it. The partition table occupies the area on the hard disk immediately after the mbr, so a mistake in the dd command wouldn't restore the original partition table, but it looks as though it has rewritten the partition table from somewhere.

The_Bash, can you post the exact dd command you used?

Edit: Wikipedia article about mbr/partition table (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record). The two together only occupy 512 bytes, so if that dd command copied 512 bytes, that's the partition table overwritten.

The_Bash
May 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I used this command to backup my MBR:

sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=/mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Then I used this command to restore the MBR:

sudo dd if=/disk/hda/mbr.bin of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
(At least this should have been the command, but since I used it with the Live CD I can't find it back. So I'm not sure if it was a type-o)
I had to replace 'hda' with 'drive' because the partition was called that way after I mounted it in the Live CD.

//edit

I discovered that the NTFS partition should still be around. The size of my disk is now 49.8 GB. My disk has a capacity of 100GB. This is compliant with the way I partitioned the disk. I resized it to 50GB ext3 and 45GB ntfs. Now I have to find a way to 'unhide' my NTFS partition.