PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean Install Questions

tachyon4
May 26th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Long story short, I upgraded to 9.10 and had trouble with booting and suspending, so I tried a clean install.

Before installing 9.10 from the CD, I made a copy of my home folder on another partition. (I had trouble with permissions at first, but I was able to copy all of the "visible" files and folders and nothing else.)

Then I performed a clean install.

When I copied my old files back into the new home folder, they all gained irremovable "no read" and "no write" emblems. Technically, I can use these files to an extent, but it becomes a real pain typing "sudo" every time I want to perform a basic task. Also, some tasks (such as installing applications from a list in one of these text files) are not possible to my knowledge with these restrictions.

What can I do to return these files to their normal state, in which I can read and write freely?

And ultimately, what can I do to my computer to give me more authority over my files? I am not afraid of accidentally giving full permissions to someone who shares my computer because I am the sole user. A change here would likely preclude many redundant questions in the future.

Thanks as usual.

donato roque
May 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hi
You should change your file ownership. Open a terminal and type:
~$sudo chown -R yourname:yourgroupname <enter>.

~ means you should be in your /home/yourname folder. You can
also check your files by typing $ls, ok?

"chown" means change ownership of files

-R means recursive; applying the command on all folders

yourname means the name of your desktop

if you open nautilus to /home/yourname you can observe the change in
real time.

Good luck!

donato roque
May 26th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hi
I would like to corrent myself. The command should be:
~$sudo chown -R yourname:yourgroupname /home/yourname <enter>

All the files/folders ownership in your home directory will