PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron B130 install problem

a77ssii
May 23rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
My Dell Inspiron B130 gave me a fatal error on boot and wants the windows setup disc which Dell did not provide me when I bought the computer. Now that it is out of warranty they want to charge me for the disc SOOOO out with XP and in with Ubuntu. I initially tried to let 9.04 partition the drive and run with XP with the intent of possibly fixing XP at a later date but it said a partition was not possible. I have all data backed up so there's nothing to lose. Question I have is when 9.04 is installing will it import any of my data (ie emails, documents, music, etc) from XP or will I have to restore everything from my external drive when it is presently backed up?

Yvan300
May 23rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
Not really sure, it's according to how severve your windows crash is. Most likely you will have to restore everyhing from your backup but there is a chance that ubuntu will be able to read the partition and import what is necessary. Oh and to fix the whole not being able to partition error, when in the live cd go to system, administrator and then partition editor and delete your windows partition. Since it is corrupt, ubuntu cannot resize it but if you delete, you will now be able to partition it but all your emails etc that you wished to import would be gone. So that's basically what you have to do.

Cheers

a77ssii
May 24th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks, I'll be trying that in about a week when I'm back at home with it.