PDA

View Full Version : Which licence is better

checkersland
May 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hi

I'd like to submit a new program into Ubuntu repository and I can't select an appropriate licence for the program. There are a lot of licences and I can't select one...

I'd like to see the next rules in that licence: nobody should decompile, change and sell the program. I don't publish the sources, but the program is free for use and doesn't include any fees.

Which common used licence is the best for my requests?

Thanks, Pavel

P.S. Sorry if select inappropriate forum section...

lisati
May 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
You might want to look into "Creative Commons" (http://creativecommons.org/)

checkersland
May 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
You might want to look into "Creative Commons" (http://creativecommons.org/)
I've never heard about this licence. What about GNU GPL or GNU LGPL? It's really difficult to catch all nuances of such licences...

zolookas
May 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
You program is not open source so you can't licence it under GPL. LGPL is suitable only if your main program is open source and you need to provide closed source plugins or addons.

soltanis
May 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah, just FYI your model is not free/open-source based on your restrictions, so GPL/LGPL/BSD/Zlib/Apache would not apply to you.

checkersland
May 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
You program is not open source so you can't licence it under GPL. LGPL is suitable only if your main program is open source and you need to provide closed source plugins or addons.

Thanks! As I understand BSD licence is good enough, but I'd like to deny modification of my program and selling of it... As I know apache licence is also permit to modify source (and crack it if possible).

checkersland
May 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, just FYI your model is not free/open-source based on your restrictions, so GPL/LGPL/BSD/Zlib/Apache would not apply to you.
Hmm. As I remember there are no any obligations about source publishing in BSD licence... Am I right?

As I know there are a lot of proprietary code in Ubuntu repositories. What kind of licences do they use?