PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Interesting Wireless Problem

version7x
May 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my wireless connection start to drop in and out on my home network. It's to the point now where I'll connect for about 30 seconds, the connection will drop, and then it will attempt to connect for about 5 minutes (asking for my passcode two or three times) and then connect for another 30 seconds. Other computers will stay connected as will hard booting the windows partition.

When I go to work, I can bounce off any of the access points and stay connected all day (WPA2 Enterprise)

Laptop - Dell E6500
Card - Intel Wifi Link 5100
Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic in Jaunty/9.04
Router - linksys wrt150n

The only thing I see in /var/log/messages is

iwlagn 0000:c:00.0:firmware: requesting iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode
and

Registered led device: iwl-phy0:RX
followed by

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

I'll get the exact output from syslog a bit later, but wanted to know what else I can do to troubleshoot this or if anyone knew of a fix for this. I hadn't been able to find anything exatly like this in the forums.

Thanks in advance!

superprash2003
May 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
could be related to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146367

version7x
June 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the tip! I had done some searching, but couldnt find concise information.

I've now updated my kernel, installed backports, and turned off ipv6. I'll give it a shot when I get home an see if that does the trick!

Thanks!

version7x
June 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I've installed the 2.6.29 kernel and I've now been connected for 20 minutes straight! Thats beats my last record by about 19 minutes, 30 seconds.

I do have a lot lower signal strenght that's going in and out, but a definite stable connection.

Thanks for the help!

-M