PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I need latest tech (Xeon processor) for Ubuntu server

televisi
May 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hi All,
As far as I know, I don't really need the latest technology (ie: Xeon processor) for any Linux Ubuntu series (most importantly for Ubuntu Server edition).

At the moment I need to create server which will handle approx 30 XP clients with the server purpose of File Server (but perhaps in the future I need to do extra job from email server, webserver, and RAID backup).

At the moment I'm planning to change all network card to Gigabit to enhance fast transfer between network.

I'm quite new in building server (so far only home desktops), do you think I really need to buy latest motherboard technology with 2 x Intel Xeon 3000 processors?

Furthermore, as most of clients are XP, can I put their XP profile using Ubuntu server? (similar to Windows NT / 2000 to have "roaming" profile in server

Thanks heaps!

fatbotgw
May 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I've never dealt with "roaming" profiles so I don't know the answer to that one.

As far as hardware goes, no, you don't need the latest tech to run a file server for ~30 clients. Unless you're running some kind of monster database you'll do fine with somewhat older tech.