PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running GUI Programs from Terminal?

raziiq
May 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Alright i have this confusion in my mind, whenever i try to run lets say firefox from terminal like this

firefox

In this case Terminal hangs or i should say, Terminal wont take any more commands. why??

However if i run this command in Terminal i can enter commands

firefox &

Which one is efficient?? And is it ok running Programs from Terminal??

skymera
May 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It's fine running programs from the terminal.

It can help with debugging and solving problems :)

alexander.i
May 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
If you add & after command process backgrounded and your command line free for you. But if backgrounded process write something to stdout then you will see it in terminal. For example, try `ping ya.ru &` and then run mc

Another nice future that you can use it's command line in gnome - Alt+F2

pawnrocket
May 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
It is okay... I don't know the ins and outs of it. However I did once setup a server version with no gui that ran graphica programs from the command line. xorg is what the gui runs off of, so I used it to run programs. The info for that stuff is available on the web.

raziiq
May 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
If you add & after command process backgrounded and your command line free for you. But if backgrounded process write something to stdout then you will see it in terminal. For example, try `ping ya.ru &` and then run mc

Another nice future that you can use it's command line in gnome - Alt+F2

Means it will not slow down my pc, whatever method i use right??

Also what does that ALT+F2 means??

superprash2003
May 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
its the run dialog box where you can type commands which runs certain services. for example : gnome-system-monitor gives CPU usage , processes etc

mrtomservo
May 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Means it will not slow down my pc, whatever method i use right??

Whether you use the & (run in background) or not, (run in foreground) it will have NO effect on the speed of your computer. It's just whether you want it in the background or the foreground.