PDA

View Full Version : What IDE and Keyboard do you use?

Gucko
May 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hi guys, I'm a computer engineering student and Java programmer (still learning)

I heard that some guys don't prefer IDEs and use vim or emacs instead of them. Please tell me what do you prefer any why? I want to learn from others experience.

Second please if you are a programmer or spend lots of your time typing, tell me what's your keyboard brand and model. I spend most of my time typing and after an hour my fingers and hands start to hurt. So what do you recommend?

PurposeOfReason
May 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I like vim as a good vimrc makes it that much easier. I never have to leave the keyboard also, which is a plus.

Keyboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823102003

It's quiet, pretty tactile, and gets the job done. If your fingers hurt you're probably typing too hard.

OutOfReach
May 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I use Netbeans (very good despite it's bloat) for large projects that involve multiple files and a Makefile. and I use either vim or Geany for those quick 1-file programs.

My hands do tend to hurt while typing (they're hurting in my wrist area right now) but I am almost positive that it's because of the angle that im typing at and not the keyboard itself.

brian183
May 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I've been using Jedit for quite some time now and I really like it. Even so, I use vi/vim for command line editor whenever I feel like coding in it.

I can't really tell you what model keyboard I use. I went to Fry's and bought the heaviest keyboard I could find which turned out to be one of the cheaper ones. Reminds me of the old IBM M keyboards but it doesn't really come close to it. The IBM M is arguably the best keyboard ever made, especially for programmers.

My fingers and hands usually never hurt but my forearms do after awhile. You should probably stop typing so hard?

Gucko
May 17th, 2009, 11:41 PM
what do you mean guys by ''typing too hard''?

unoodles
May 17th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I use Anjuta. And my keyboard is whatever comes on the Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop.

PurposeOfReason
May 18th, 2009, 12:02 AM
what do you mean guys by ''typing too hard''?
Slamming the keys, forcing a bad position, etc. Sit back, relax, and just type. You may think that is what you are doing but your hands say otherwise. I can type all day long.

Bölvağur
May 18th, 2009, 01:30 AM
When I code with my friend, he uses Vi (only) and I Geany.
Standard keyboard, but I recommend changing the layout =)

qalimas
May 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I use the Microsoft Media Desktop 1000 keyboard and mouse. I've found the wireless optical mouse to be VERY light on the batteries compared to other wireless optical mice. The keyboard is very comfortable, just the right amount of push needed to press a button. The keyboard also has nice customizable buttons at the top that I have set for compiler and upload functions.

The mouse is also very comfortable to use, fits into my hand perfectly. I've also noticed that on surfaces most optical mice won't work on, this one does without a problem (and yes, I'm positive it is optical and not laser).

As for my IDE, it depends really. I use Quanta Plus and Bluefish at work for internal web-database development, for C programming I tend to use KATE or Gnome's default Text Editor. If it deals with multiple files (C), I'll usually end up using Geany. One development environment I've learned to stay away from is Aptana, I hate it!!

sujoy
May 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
For big projects, I use netbeans. For small ones, vim. Only exception is Common Lisp (still trying to get the hang of it), which is done in emacs+slime.

My desktop keyboard is TVS Gold, been using it for over 7 years now, no problem whatsoever, and whatever comes with the Lenovo G400 2048 22Q which is also pretty nice.

Cracauer
May 18th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Emacs.

Keytronics E036, exclusively.

oldsoundguy
May 18th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I use ergonomic layout keyboards .. but as a touch typist, it was easy to adapt. AND I use an ergonomic trackball vs a mouse.

The key is a damn good chair (if you can afford it, an 80 hour rated chair .. CLOTH .. leather SUX for long term comfort and most leather chairs are not ALL leather .. lots of vinyl), proper keyboard height (I use an adjustable swing arm platform at the main computer station) and proper mouse placement.

And take a break, stand up, and walk around for a few minutes.

Gucko
May 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I use ergonomic layout keyboards .. but as a touch typist, it was easy to adapt. AND I use an ergonomic trackball vs a mouse.

The key is a damn good chair (if you can afford it, an 80 hour rated chair .. CLOTH .. leather SUX for long term comfort and most leather chairs are not ALL leather .. lots of vinyl), proper keyboard height (I use an adjustable swing arm platform at the main computer station) and proper mouse placement.

And take a break, stand up, and walk around for a few minutes.

you didn't mention the brands and models man!

toupeiro
May 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Vi(m) here, and I use Microsoft Natural keyboards. Call it the last bit of 8+ years of MS software administration and scripting that I simply cannot let go of. ;-) Seriously though, I use them because they are the best ergonomic keyboard out there, and believe me, I've tried MANY of them. I'm currently on a Wireless comfort keyboard 1.0A. I ran IBM keyboards for a long time but after so many years of banging out scripts I started to hurt. Once I got used to the layout, I'm nearly twice as fast and I can type twice as long without hurting or needing to take a break. My hands and my mind are my livelyhood, and I need both of them so if Microsoft makes the best keyboards that will keep me typing in comfort, my hats off to them, I'll buy, but I run linux to maintain my sanity. :)

Gucko
May 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Look at my keyboard and desk. My keyboard is a Chinese keyboard costs $2! I dunno if the problem from me or from the keyboard but I'm thinking to buy a Logitech Illuminated keyboard.

Lot's of people advised me to buy an IBM M keyboard, but I don't know where to get one. I saw some of them on the internet but I found them really ugly. Are Logitech keyboards as good as IBM M keyboards? I have never tried a Logitech or IBM M keyboard before.

BTW my friend has a veeeery old keyboard, how can I know if it's an IBM M keyboard or not?

toupeiro
May 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Look at my keyboard and desk. My keyboard is a Chinese keyboard costs $2! I dunno if the problem from me or from the keyboard but I'm thinking to buy a Logitech Illuminated keyboard.

Lot's of people advised me to buy an IBM M keyboard, but I don't know where to get one. I saw some of them on the internet but I found them really ugly. Are Logitech keyboards as good as IBM M keyboards? I have never tried a Logitech or IBM M keyboard before.

BTW my friend has a veeeery old keyboard, how can I know if it's an IBM M keyboard or not?

IBM M keyboards are like a computer geeks cult classic keyboard. They were heavy, loud, and virtually indestructible. They could easily suffice as a home security device if thats all you had to crack someone in the skull with. Other than that, if your job is very keyboard centric, a few years of a keyboard that style will have you wishing you went ergonomic rather than try to impress your online buddies with your 8 pound source of carpel tunnel.

oldsoundguy
May 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
you didn't mention the brands and models man!

Brands and models really don't make that much difference except for "hey look at me. I spent way too much money on this thing!" aspects.

I use MS and Logitech keyboards .. various ergonomic models.. the layout is relatively the same. And I use Logitech Trackballs .. again two different models .. wireless is the Cordless Optical Trackman, and wired is the Marble FX.

hessiess
May 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM
IDE's waste far too much screen space, have awful keyboard control and are bloated, nuf said, use Vim.

I just use the keyboard on my laptop (HT dv2000) most of the time, I have never found typing to make my hands hurt, that's what the mouse is for.

jelle_
May 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I use vim, I don't like IDE's.

Gucko
May 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
so should i go with Logitech?

PurposeOfReason
May 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Go with a keyboard that you can try, sit and type with, and see how it works for you.

oldsoundguy
May 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM
the advantage of Logitech:

Their Warranty! I have had them replace two expensive wireless trackballs for free when something (other than the batteries) went south.

As with any computer equipment, depending on care and maintenance YMMV. (a keyboard needs to be turned over and burped like a baby just to get the debris out of it, if nothing else.)

NO CLUE on other makers other than MS .. and their warranty is as good as the paper it is written on .. suitable for the LOO!!

Cracauer
May 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM

King of fluffy keys. I can't type on those things.

Same keys as a $2 keyboard but looks better and costs real bucks. E036, M or "you want French fries with that?" is the only answer.

geekygirl
May 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I have been using Geany for my C++ work for Uni and just started playing around with Netbeans. (Starting Java in a few weeks lol)

For a keyboard I hook my Vaio TT up to an external screen and use a Logitech Illuminated keyboard - I prefer short stroke keys and a laptop style of keyboard, but the smaller TT keyboard gets a bit much for lots and lots of typing so the Logitech fits the bill nicely (besides you can still see the keys in the dark hehe)

reprobus
May 19th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I use anjuta for an ide.

http://projects.gnome.org/anjuta/index.shtml

Gucko
May 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
ok but why pros. choose vim and emacs and not gedit? vim doesn't have gui!
why do make themself suffer?!

I hope some pros contribute here.

Saint Angeles
May 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM
i only make webpages (html/CSS/PHP) and do basic bash scripts... so i like either gedit or bluefish for that.

as for keyboard (and mouse) i like simple stuff. like:
logitech classic keyboard 200 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126023) and
logitech sbf-96 mouse (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104026&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Mouse-_-Logitech+Inc.-_-26104026)

they look good together. i used to have a microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse thing. i used to think it was great until i realized there was a delay between pushing a button and when it would appear. also, the mouse wouldn't respond all the time. thats when i decided against ever getting a wireless setup again.

Cracauer
May 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Near 20 years of ~/.emacs fine-tuning, basically.

The thing does what I want, but not out of the box.

Dorzu
May 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Editor:
I use gedit/notepad, depending on platform, when writing a new file. If I'm simply making edits to a file, I use vi. I don't use an IDE because it seems like overkill.

Keyboard:
Das Ultimate.

sujoy
May 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Umm, I am not exactly sure what you mean! What does "text" editing has to do with a "gui" ? You dont need the fancy icons for editing text. Vi(m) and Emacs are the two most powerfull editors in the unix/linux world. Hence, some people, like me and a million others, try to make use of it.

Really sorry to disappoint you, but vim/emacs doesn't make me suffer. Java does. Hence, I use Netbeans for that.