PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu install on mac

kmatousek
May 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Help.

I get all the way to choosing my partition and it won't let me select a clean partition I just setup.

I have a 160GB HD and split to 120GB and 40GB.

THe large partition runs mac and I want to install ubuntu on the smaller partition.

At the select partition screen I have the options to install on the entire HD, or over the larger partition, or advanced options.

In the advanced options I have to choose a partition. I see the smaller sized one but am not sure how to set it up to install ubuntu without screwing up my mac HD.

I see the other HD on my desktop while running mac. so I'm fairly sure the partition is setup correctly.

Suggestions? ):P

kmatousek
May 16th, 2009, 03:25 AM
So when I setup the partition I didn't change the format.

Which option should I choose for the format of the partition to install ubuntu?

My options are a bunch of Mac-OS or MS-DOS.

Anything?

chrisfender0
May 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I think you should use a DOS format like FAT32. Since ubuntu is is written like unix DOS format should fit it better. I'm about to install it on a mac today from an external Hard drive so I'll let you know what the best one is.

fbugnon
June 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
You might want take a look at the excellent document provided by the Ubuntu/Apple users community prior to your installation (check the link below).

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam/CommunityHelpPages

This will give you a better idea of the possibles ways to install Ubuntu in dual boot with Mac OS.

Making a long story short, I would recommend:

1. partition your HD with bootCamp
2. boot with Ubuntu CD (as if it was Windows); and
3. Install normally within the partition you created (you can customize your partition scheme or leave it to Ubuntu, the community doc can tell you more about this).

But there are other ways of doing it that could better suit your need, so do take a look at the page linked above before proceeding with the installation.