PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 new install missing mouse cursor

kenryan
May 15th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Hello!

OK here's the situation: Via C7-based mini-ITX mobo (CX700 based), fresh 9.04 install from DVD. All seemed to go well with the install. However when the machine boots up there is no mouse cursor. The mouse *does* seem to work - if I move the mouse around I see buttons on the top bar change their highlight as if the cursor was over them. I can navigate menus to, by waving the mouse around until what I want changes its highlight. It's pretty tedious. :-)

The screen is in sort of a goofy mode too - ubuntu thinks it's 1280x768. The monitor actually is a tube that I normally run 1600x1280 (e.g. with my main 8.10 box). Yes, there is a KVM switch in line. Ubuntu versions up through 8.10 are happy with it (not tried on this CX700 box though).

I'm attempting to attach my dmesg and Xorg.0.log files.

Any suggestions on where I should look or what I can try would be appreciated. It's a fresh install, no user data yet so fully wipeable. Thanks in advance!

ken

mcwnz
May 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Just installed vanilla 9.04 jaunty on a VIA VB8001 = CN896. Same problem as you. Seems that there is an issue with the mouse pointer in Openchrome.
Bug appears to be known. A workaround is to enable SWCursor (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome)
I confirm that this fixed the issue for me.