PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wired network card just stopped working?

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Please help me,
I made a fresh install of jaunty 9.04 recently and everythings been fine for a couple of weeks.
Today the network connection has stopped working. Just shows symbol of two computers with a red cross in the top bar.
Tried reseting my linksys router but no good.
I have tested the network upto the end of the cable that plugs in the back of my pc by just pluging it into my netbook that also runs ubuntu 9.04 but for netbooks. The network settings are identical apart from obviously the mac address of the nic.

If i type in ifconfig from the terminal i get this

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:07:e9:e0:bf:c4
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:186 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:186 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:14268 (14.2 KB) TX bytes:14268 (14.2 KB)

It doesnt seem to pick up any ip, gateway etc.

I am totally new to linux and completely lost as to how this has happened and what i should do to fix it.

Thanks Paul

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Some laptops have a hardware switch to turn off the wireless connection - worth checking it.

Otherwise can you post the output of

lshw -C network

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Also for a hardwired network.

Look at the plug where your network cable is inserted. There should be some lights - normally green, may be flickering, what state are they in?

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Hey thanks but just to clear up - It is my PC not laptop that is the problem and the wired connection not the wireless.

Here is the output of lshw -c network

paul@PC:~$ lshw -c network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82801DB PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
logical name: eth0
version: 81
serial: 00:07:e9:e0:bf:c4
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.23-k6-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=64 maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes
*-network DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: da:8b:27:a3:31:10
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes
paul@PC:~$

Thanks paul

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
As above check the lights on the card

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
well there doesnt seem to be a card as such its a dell dimension 4550 and the NIC i think is built into the mother board. There doesnt seem to be any 'lights' its just a hole to plug into.

Does the report above not say whether the card is found or not?

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yes your card is found but with no lights its suggests you have a hardware fault. Do

check the cable is plugged into the router properly
check the cable is plugged into the PC properly.
replace the cable.
swap ports on the router

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
as i said I know the cable is working right up to the PC coz I can unplug it from my pc and plug it into my netbook and it works fine - the net book is also running ubuntu 9.04 remixed and the network settings are exactly the same.

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
This suggests that its your NIC connection then.

You card is shown ok by the lshw -C network bit

product: 82801DB PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
logical name: eth0
version: 81
serial: 00:07:e9:e0:bf:c4
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.23-k6-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=64 maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yesbut ifconfig show no active connection

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:07:e9:e0:bf:c4
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B) You could try to confirm this by booting a liveCD. This will use a fresh set of drivers.
However the lights on an you card should be on - even when the machine is powered down (not powered off)

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Just a though - have you been into your BIOS of late - if its an onboard card it can be disabled from the BIOS. May be worth a look.

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
looking at the back of the pc all the lights are on - dont know if they are anything to do with the card but every single light that could be on is.

I have lent the live boot cd to a friend :-( is there any other way to get the drivers for the NIC can i get them from synaptic manager on my net book and then transfer to my PC via usb?

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Your NIC lights will be very close to the wired connector. If you are on an active network they will flicker, like your router lights.

Also is the light where you connect to your router on, the port light should be alight.

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM
well the lights on my router are not on when connected to my PC but it isnt an active network, its not working so i am assuming it should be this way.
When i plug the network into my netbook, yes the lights flicker coz that works.
there are only four lights on the back of the whole pc labelled a b c d and all of these are on.

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
No - when you plug into the router port, if it detects the card at the other end it should light up. The light goes out when traffic passes through.

Having no light there is 'bad' - your NIC is 'doomed'

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
ok when i plug my working netbook in, the router lights up on that port and stays lit, occassionally flickering.
When i plug my PC in there are no 'port' lights on the router showing.

So you would say this is a hardware issue then, my cards just died?

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yes - I think it is deceased, dead, kaput

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Is there any way to install new drivers for the NIC? as a last ditch attempt before i go and try to buy a new motherboard/pc?

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
You do not need to buy a new motherboard unless there are other problems. Go an buy a new ethernet card (NIC) its easy to fit into your machine (unless its a laptop or similar). Not sure where you live but in the UK they are about 14.

lesaurus
May 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I have a dell dimension 4550 and i think it has an integrated NIC :-( - oh well it might just finally be the time to buy an upto date PC. :-)))))))
Thanks for youre help you are very kind

Peter09
May 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Just to say that it does not matter if it is integrated NIC, putting a new card in is still ok, no problems. Even if you get a new PC it would be worth recovering that one and using it as a server or backup or something.

Iowan
May 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I just had similar problem with laptop wired card. Before you pitch the card, try setting up a manual address either in /etc/network/interfaces or by using ifconfig to set an address and netmask, then try pinging another machine. I found my card is working - just not getting DHCP address (but works properly in Windows).

lesaurus
May 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Could you please be a little more detailed, like i said i am totally new at linux and dont have a clue what im doing.when i do ifconfig it doesnt show any gateway or ip or anything.

If i go to etc/network/interfaces it just says

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

is this right, what do i type in here and how do i ping?

Iowan
May 13th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Sorry for lack of details - didn't wanna bore you with stuff you might already know, but certainly don't mind filling in some details. Your /etc/network/interfaces file looks normal. I edited mine to look something like:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.99
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
I'm not sure what address your router uses - or what range it's dhcp server uses for leases. You will want your static address OUTSIDE this range. This arrangement probably won't get you internet access unless you manually edit /etc/resolv.conf to put in your DNS server... but it should let you see if the card works. If it does, there's hope.