PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need PCMCIA or USB Wireless that just works

mdcollier
May 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I've had Ubuntu on an old Toshiba Satellite for about a year, applying upgrades as they came along, and life was good. I got a little frisky today and did an Etch-A-Sketch install of Jaunty. Now my wireless card doesn't work. I have zero interest in any heroics to get the old card to work. What I'm looking for is a recommendation for a high quality PCMCIA card or USB adapter that is 100% compatible with Ubuntu 9.04.

Sorry if this is a little grumpy, but I'm a little frustrated at Ubuntu for sabotaging their market by making what should be easy very cryptic.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

dmizer
May 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Depending on your card, you may simply need to connect to the internet with your wired nic so Jaunty can download the current firmware for your card.

mdcollier
May 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM
That sounds promising. It is a Linksys WPC54GS ver 2.1. How do I update the firmware?

Thanks for your help!

Glaciusor
May 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I bought a USB wifi dongle a while ago for my old Win98 tower, and I just recently aquired 4 "obsolete" computers that I am putting Ubuntu on. I decided to try plugging it in and it just worked right away without anything being installed. I can't recall its exact name, but it is a Gigafast wireless USB dongle, and looking for "Gigafast USB wireless" on Google reveals a lot of places where you can get one of these. If the all else fails, you could try this.

mdcollier
May 11th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Okay. I fumbled my way through creating a Linux driver with ndiswrapper, which I've used before, but it's been a while, and I'd forgotten how totally cool it is.

If I run the command again, I get a response tantamount, to no, dummy, you've already done that.

So, now my wireless networks are greyed out. How do I get Ubuntu to look for broadcast SSIDs?

My apologies if changing the topic is a breach of protocol. I was just thinking that there might be those who would be interested in how this played out.

Thanks again for your attention and advice.

dmizer
May 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Well, before we resort to manually searching for broadcasts, let's take a look at your current ndiswrapper setup. Please post the output of:

ndiswrapper -l

mdcollier
May 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Appears I underestimated Jaunty. I connected to the Internet via ethernet, and Jaunty automatically found the proprietary driver for my card. I wanted to undo all the tinkering I'd done, so I did an Etch-A-Sketch, connected to the Internet, checked for updates, and the driver showed up and activated with no drama. I even had Nvidia working, but couldn't tame it and turned it off.

Life is good. I'm sorry, Ubuntu developers. Seems I vastly underestimated how far you've come. (That sounds corny, I don't care who you are...)