PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing a .tar.gz file in Ubuntu

gemm
May 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hello,

how can I install a .tar.gz file in Ubuntu?

In particular, I want to install the last version of Eclipse 3.4.2. In the repository of Synaptic Package Manager I can find only version 3.2.2.

When I search for Eclipse in Applications --> Add/Removw ..., I find Eclipse, but it doesn't show me which version it is. So, I have downloaded the last version from the Eclipse site for linux-32bits, which is a .tar.gz file. I am wondering how to install it. Thank you in advance.

gandaran
May 10th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hello,

how can I install a .tar.gz file in Ubuntu?

In particular, I want to install the last version of Eclipse 3.4.2. In the repository of Synaptic Package Manager I can find only version 3.2.2.

When I search for Eclipse in Applications --> Add/Removw ..., I find Eclipse, but it doesn't show me which version it is. So, I have downloaded the last version from the Eclipse site for linux-32bits, which is a .tar.gz file. I am wondering how to install it. Thank you in advance.
first unpack/extract the package then read the readme file for installing instructions, post them here if you have any problem.
you will need to install build-essential from synaptic for compiling applications.