PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 9.04 - No www but ftp, ping okay

enrite
May 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi All,

I am a newbie, having used Ubuntu for the last 6 months or so. I just updated to 9.04 and now have issues connecting to the internet.

I can ping web sites using the network tool and connect to ftp sites but cannot connect to a web site using a browser. Any suggestions? I have tried some solutions mentioned in other threads but cannot solve the problem. If I need to, I can do a fresh install of 9.04 but I'd rather see if this can be easily fixed.

Thanks,

Ian

andrewc6l
May 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
The first thing is to determine if you're being blocked on your box or upstream.

Try this (from a command line):

telnet www.google.com 80

If you connect, type:

GET /

If you see a response, the problem is likely with your web browser (maybe it's trying to use a proxy that's not reachable?) If not, it could be that your local firewall is blocking port 80.

enrite
May 12th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your response and sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I fail to connect to Google through telnet.

andrewc6l
May 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, can you try the same thing with an IP address:

telnet 74.125.67.100 80

(That's an IP address for google.com.) If you can connect with the IP address but not the name, then your DNS config is bad - you'll need to find out what the right DNS is from your ISP. If you can't connect using IP address, I'm at a loss - since you say you can connect over web sites and ping. Maybe a firewall is blocking port 80 somewhere?

enrite
May 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I can telnet to the ip address. I actually ended up reinstalling from scratch. I booted from CD and could browse, so I took that route.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Ian