PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] chatting on LAN

apparle
May 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Could you suggest a software with which I could chat or exchange files/folders on LAN.
I want it to be available for both Windows and linux......so that I can chat to people using Windows also.
Also I don't have access to LAN server....so I want it to be some sort of peer to peer software.

Also I should be able to use it even when internet is not connected as it happens a lot in our hostel

I know IPMsg........is there any other software

tgpraveen
May 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
if only linux pcs are involved then empathy is a superb solution where u can transfer files and chat on the lan if u create a account on bonjour . just click add account and add account for linklocal or something like that it is called.

if windows pcs are also involved then on windows install pidgin it also has similar implementation but sadly it doesnt have transfer file support yet.
u can use empathy on linux pc in any case.

cb951303
May 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Could you suggest a software with which I could chat or exchange files/folders on LAN.
I want it to be available for both Windows and linux......so that I can chat to people using Windows also.
Also I don't have access to LAN server....so I want it to be some sort of peer to peer software.

Also I should be able to use it even when internet is not connected as it happens a lot in our hostel

I know IPMsg........is there any other software

pidgin supports bonjour protocol which is what you're looking for

ahood
September 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
see http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7896158&postcount=8