PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dial-up on 9.04...Help

Travis W Hillis
May 10th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Well, I just got the latest Ubuntu version and love it. However, I can't seem to be able to set up a dial-up connection. I've Googled my fingers off, found several tutorials but none were written with 9.04 in mind. :( Could someone tell me how to set up a dial up connection?

BTW: If I have to download anything, I'll have to use my connection in Vista(which is also on my HD thanks to dual-booting) and save the file(s) to a shared folder. Hope this wont't be a problem.

Travis W Hillis
May 10th, 2009, 01:45 AM
One more thing, I was reading about some software that is suposed to make dial-up work and it said it had to be compiled. So I started to try to find out how to get a compiler...the docs said I need to be connected to get it:confused:.

dLeon
May 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Do you actually want to compile a dial-up program or only want to make your dial-up connection active?

Travis W Hillis
May 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Just need to make mine active. I know the username, pass, and dial-up number, I just don't know how to set it up. Thanks a lot for replying btw. I feel like a total noob lol.

Travis W Hillis
May 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Bump

lswb
May 11th, 2009, 02:26 AM
If your modem is recognized and properly working try the pppconfig program from a terminal:

sudo pppconfig

Enter the requested information, and save. Then connect by using the command "pon ISPNAME" and disconnect with "poff"

See man pppconfig for more info.

There is also a gnome-ppp gui program or kppp for KDE.

Travis W Hillis
May 11th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Thanks! I heard about connecting with the terminal, I just didn't know it could be used with 9.04. I'll try it. :)

Travis W Hillis
May 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
One question, it(the pppconfig thing) asks for the dns address. I don't know the dns address. How can I find out?

lswb
May 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Select the choice for dynamic DNS, the DNS address will be assigned by your ISP upon connection.

Travis W Hillis
May 12th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks! :)