PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disabling a Wireless Interface?

kmand
May 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have two wireless nics on a Ubuntu 9.10 laptop. A slow builtin and a fast usb. The network manager keeps trying to bring up both, but I only want it to bring up the external.

Is there a way to disable the internal?

Sissy13
May 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (note: the "70" might be different on your machine) and see if you can figure out which is which.

If so, I think commenting out the one you don't want to use would be sufficient -- you might have to do that in /etc/network/interfaces as well, though.

pastalavista
May 10th, 2009, 01:31 AM
You can also right-click the network manager icon in the tray (notifications area) and "Edit Connections" make the one you want to use "connect automatically" and disable that function in the other.

thesavager
May 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM
You can disable the internal wireless network-card in your BIOS settings.

kmand
May 11th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I went with "edit connections" in the network manager. I had missed that I could specifiy the Mac address of the interface. I was expecting to see an interface name and had thought the Mac qualified the access point.

Mortus Pryde
May 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I have a similar situation with my T42, however in my case I want to use the wireless hotkey to disable the internal wireless, and past that would like the active/inactive state to persist between sessions and shutdowns. Is either yet possible? I should mention that I am using Intrepid.

I post these questions here as I believe they may be of interest to the OP as well.