PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstalling/Removing Ubuntu

BlueHound
May 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Hey!

I'm currently running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex on my laptop. But I wish to make a dual partition consisting of Ubuntu and Windows. Heres the problem, Windows is a very ego-centrical OS and want to be partition #1. So, I need to remove Ubuntu, install windows and then create another partition and put Ubuntu in there. Iḿ stuck in step 1, removing Ubuntu. I have tried using GParted, but it isn't really working and I think I may be over thinking the problem. All vital data has already been back-uped on a flash drive & the internets, so I just need to get rid of Ubuntu so I can install Windows and then Ubuntu. Theres no need to preserve any data.

So can anybody help me? :)

mikewhatever
May 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
You need to run gparted from the Live cd and not from Ubuntu installation.

tommcd
May 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
You should be able to just boot up the Windows install CD and delete and or reformat any partitions you want. Then install Windows to a partition of whatever size you want; and leave the rest of the drive unallocated. Then boot up the Ubuntu install CD and create your Ubuntu partitions in the free space and install to that.

shashi859
May 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
here is a simple way to completly removing ubuntu from a ubuntu/windows vista dual boot system without any os disc ,and then recovering those drives and also editing master boot record(MBR) in a easier way.

turn on windows vista
just surf for a software 'easybcd'
download and then install it and run
choose 'manage bootloader' and in the choose first option which says 'reinstall vista bootloader' ,select write.
after writing successfully then go to my computer --right click on that option--go to manage--disk management--right click on drives in which ubuntu is stored --delete volume.then again format it
that's it .

IF UR ARE AGAIN SWITCHING TO WINDOWS ?,DON'T DO THAT
SEARCH FOR A DISTRO THAT SUITS U OR REPORT A FORUM