PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty problems after upgrade, no terminal

raymondvillain
May 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Cannot boot to latest version of Jaunty. Have to drop down one level on the Grub loader page (I forget which version). Things are a little messed up. All my browser windows have lost their settings.

The main problem now is that I cannot get a terminal window to open. I go to Applications>accessories>terminal and nothing much happens. A box at the bottom taskbar says "opening terminal" and then it goes away after a while but the terminal window never appears.

What is to be done?

drs305
May 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The main problem now is that I cannot get a terminal window to open. I go to Applications>accessories>terminal and nothing much happens. A box at the bottom taskbar says "opening terminal" and then it goes away after a while but the terminal window never appears.

What is to be done?

To open a terminal, have you tried ALT-F2? You could then type "gnome-terminal" and see if that works.

raymondvillain
May 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
thanks DRS305. Actually, I had to type "Ctrl-alt-F2" to get a terminal, then I logged in and was able to mkdir etc.

But does anyone have any idea why I can't open a terminal from the Applications menu?