PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network looks good, but can't ping anything

inphinity
May 9th, 2009, 02:21 AM
On a fairly fresh install of Jaunty, everything was going normally until I rebooted to add a HDD. Before the reboot, I installed a few basic packages, including uTorrent on Wine, G15stats/daemon and PeerGuardian. When the system came back up, I had zero internet connectivity. (I've since removed the HDD, but that hasn't made a difference.)

Currently, these are my symptoms:

Cannot ping localhost, 127.0.0.1, or 192.168.0.118 (this machine), no other machines can ping this one (all pings are just lost)
ifconfig looks normal, two interfaces listed (eth0 and lo)
Unplugging and replugging the cable, Ubuntu recognizes the event and says it's connected
sudo dhclient3 seems to return an IP (this machine has a reserved IP on the router)

DHCPACK of 192.168.0.118 from 192.168.0.1
bound to 192.168.0.118 -- renewal in 905652007 seconds

I'm at my wits end -- I've searched high and low for the cause of this, and while I'm still relatively new to Ubuntu, I can't fathom what could be causing this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

](*,)

superprash2003
May 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM
post output of sudo iptables -L . have you installed firestarter or anything similar..try also sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

dandnsmith
May 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Whatever else caused the problem, it will not have been the HDD (unless through some disturbed cables/connections).
A common problem is to load new software, the impact isn't present until it has had a chance to settle in and the system has been rebooted - I'd be looking at that new stuff as a possible cause.

Apart from that, I'd go with the iptables suggestions, as firewalls are the most common way of rendering network connections useless.

inphinity
May 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Whatever else caused the problem, it will not have been the HDD (unless through some disturbed cables/connections).

Yah, I was 99% sure the HDD wasn't related, but mentioned it just on the off-chance.

post output of sudo iptables -L .

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
QUEUE all -- anywhere anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
QUEUE all -- anywhere anywhere

try also sudo /etc/init.d/networking restartAn interesting result:

* Reconfiguring network interfaces...
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0