PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I remap keys now that /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ isn't used?

andrewkk
May 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
In the past I have always used a custom configuration file in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ to remap a few of my keys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that Ubuntu now uses some other, entirely different system for implementing keyboard layouts. Where is this new system documented?

cudjoe
May 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Looks like it's moved to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/*

mrowth
May 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Looks like it's moved to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/*

Wasn't /etc/X11/xkb/symbols just a link to that anyway?

andrewkk
May 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks, I should have seen that.

mrowth
May 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks, I should have seen that.

Is it working for you?

I have a custom layout in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols and a keyboard InputDevice section with Option "XkbLayout" "my_layout_name", but X still starts with a standard German layout. I can't do setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout my_layout_name either ("Error loading new keyboard description"). Nor does KDE's own keyboard layout thingie let me pick it.

andrewkk
May 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM
...a keyboard InputDevice section with Option "XkbLayout" "my_layout_name"...

As far as I can tell, xorg.conf is no longer used to specify keyboard layouts. My entire InputDevice stanza was commented out with the added line "commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used." Anyone know what this means?

The small amount of poking around I've done so far has led me to suspect that /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml and related files in that folder probably have a lot to do with how this new system works. I'm not sure where both user and system-wide configurations are stored yet though.

Test modifications to the layout I use in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us have successfully taken effect, but all of my attempts to turn my changes into a Layout Option, so as not to alter the layout for other users, have so far been unsuccessful. I'll keep playing with it and post back if I learn more.

I really wish I knew where to just find some documentation on this.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm using Gnome Keyboard Preferences to specify my chosen layout and layout options.

Cracauer
May 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I use xmodmap from my xinitrc.

andrewkk
May 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
...all of my attempts to turn my changes into a Layout Option, so as not to alter the layout for other users, have so far been unsuccessful.

Apparently what I'm trying to do is not supposed to be possible (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config/+bug/297428/comments/11). By design. How frustrating!

Cracauer
May 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Okay...

So who's with me? We split Xorg-1.3 into a "working X11 server with working manual configuration and that's it" project.

mrowth
May 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM
As far as I can tell, xorg.conf is no longer used to specify keyboard layouts. My entire InputDevice stanza was commented out with the added line "commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used." Anyone know what this means?

The small amount of poking around I've done so far has led me to suspect that /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml and related files in that folder probably have a lot to do with how this new system works. I'm not sure where both user and system-wide configurations are stored yet though.

Test modifications to the layout I use in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us have successfully taken effect, but all of my attempts to turn my changes into a Layout Option, so as not to alter the layout for other users, have so far been unsuccessful. I'll keep playing with it and post back if I learn more.

I've been getting somewhere, too. I've re-customized the current Ubuntu 9.04 "de" symbols file and re-saved it under my own name. I can now use setxkbmap to activate it. I've also given it a <layout>...</layout> block in evdev.xml (and entered it in evdev.lst, but I'm not sure how much that mattered): that seems to have made KDE's keyboard layout switcher acknowledge its existence. But I'm still not sure how to make X use it by default...

mrowth
May 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I use xmodmap from my xinitrc.

I put my setxkbmap line in .xsession, symlinked .xinitrc to it, and it doesn't run. (It's executable, it works when I run it manually...)

Cracauer
May 14th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I put my setxkbmap line in .xsession, symlinked .xinitrc to it, and it doesn't run. (It's executable, it works when I run it manually...)

All that GNOME sissystuff won't run it as such.

mrowth
May 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
All that GNOME sissystuff won't run it as such.
Meaning what? I would've thought X would run it - so the keyboard layout would be available at the KDM login already. It's left to the window manager/desktop environment? (Where and when does what run what anyway?...)

Cracauer
May 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Meaning what? I would've thought X would run it - so the keyboard layout would be available at the KDM login already. It's left to the window manager/desktop environment? (Where and when does what run what anyway?...)

I meant that the typical login performed from gdm into GNOME doesn't read your .xsession or .xinitrc.

mrowth
May 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I meant that the typical login performed from gdm into GNOME doesn't read your .xsession or .xinitrc.

Seems KDM doesn't do it either.

So is there a single place to auto-run something for every X session?

Cracauer
May 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Seems KDM doesn't do it either.

So is there a single place to auto-run something for every X session?

Dunno. Quite frankly it's one of the major reasons why I don't use GNOME or KDE.

Of course you can use a non-GNOME login, getting into .xinitrc or .xsession and then start GNOME or KDE from that same init file.

mrowth
May 16th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I wouldn't know how to do that, I'm afraid. I tried to use XDM yesterday, but couldn't log in at all. There was no "******" echo for my password (normal? dunno), nor would it accept it.

Here's somebody else's attempt at trying to configure the keyboard la HAL: http://osdir.com/ml/debian-user-debian/2009-04/msg02198.html

Personally I can't even set the layout that way so far, much less the repeat rate, nothing.

Here's some Ubuntu wiki stuff about it: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input#Input Configuration with HAL

But since I don't know what most of it means, I can't adapt it to my needs (yet?). Whatever I tried seemed to go ignored. No mention of my puny attempts in xorg's log either. No errors. It just kept setting up my keyboard with a "de" layout.