PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Building a Ubuntu "client cluster"

xwizzard
May 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Ok, I'm still new to Ubuntu, but the more I use it and read on the capabilities of Linux, the more I am impressed.
I am toying with the idea of a "client cluster" in which I have three computers working together as one desktop. I believe the term here is a "load-balancing cluster" but am unsure. I have two Pentum 3 computers, (one with 256MB RAM, the other with 512MB) and one Athlon 64 3800+ with 2.5GB DDR2, NVIDIA 7300GS, and SATA 3.0Gbps HDDs. Both P3s have Tbase100 NICs, and the Athlon has a dual Tbase100 integrated NIC and an add-on PCI-express Tbase1000 NIC.
I was thinking of using the Athlon as the hub, doing all the graphics, and being the only one connected to the internet. The P3s would boost the processing potential and speed by taking tasks from the Athlon, and possibly as extensions of the main computer, adding storage, USB ports, CD/DVD drives, LPT printers, etc.
I have Ubuntu Server i386, AMD64, and Desktop i386, AMD64 versions. I am eager to hear from anyone with suggestions.