PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Netbook for Linux

anlag
May 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'm giving some thought to buying a netbook, probably a 10" one. Obviously I'd like to run Linux on it, and if it's Ubuntu that's a bonus as it's what I'm most accustomed to. I'm posting simply to ask for buying advice, in case there are particular brands or models that are better or worse for working with Linux/Ubuntu.

I'm aware there are netbooks that come with some Linux installation by default, where I assume compatibility is ensured, but then it's always nice to have more options. And, as before, if it happens to be a Ubuntu system I assume that makes it easier for me to mess about when something needs fixing, wine applications, etc.

Anyone?

Forgot to add: good battery life will be a priority for this machine, however that might play in with choice of system (xubuntu?)

yota
May 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hi,

at this address you'll find the netbooks officially tested with 9.04:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

Hope this helps!

anlag
July 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thought I'd revisit this thread and say I ended up buying an Asus EeePC 1000HE, and installed Eeebuntu, the NBR version, which as far as I can tell after the first week seems to have managed to install every single piece of hardware flawlessly. Nice!