PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Automatic backup

mihaicj
May 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'm looking to start a script that does an automatic backup to my external hard disk by using rsync. I have the backup script, it works. I can get it called by udev when I plug in the hard drive but it gets called before gnome mounts the disk. Any ideas?

mihaicj
May 8th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Anybody at all?

applefox
May 8th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Here try this. It is not a script but it is a good program. Simple Backup (sbackup)

mihaicj
May 8th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Thanks, but I need what I said.

applefox
May 8th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Well you need to install a program first. If you want it to be comand line then install rsync.
The most basic way to use rsync is like this (command goes into the terminal):
rsync -av /path/to/source/directory /path/to/target/directory
For example, let's say your username is alice and you wanted to back up your home directory to your external hard drive that mounts at /media/usbdrive, you would use the command
rsync -av /home/alice /media/usbdrive
If rsync doesn't seem sophisticated enough for you, you can type
man rsync
to find more options than just -av. You can also explore rdiff-backup, which allows you to store (and restore) different date-stamped versions of the same file without taking up too much extra space.

mihaicj
May 8th, 2009, 02:51 AM
OK, thanks. Very interesting. But that's not what I asked.

applefox
May 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
This may be so but my hint to you is that you can't do it with terminal without first installing a program.

mihaicj
May 8th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I have rsync. I think it's installed by default. Thanks again.

applefox
May 8th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Can you not use it? I am not sure of your reasoning behind using a terminal command.

mihaicj
May 8th, 2009, 02:57 AM
applefox, please read what I asked.

applefox
May 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I did. I am not sure what is wrong. I am just trying other things. Do you have an error output?

leandromartinez98
May 8th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I'm looking to start a script that does an automatic backup to my external hard disk by using rsync. I have the backup script, it works. I can get it called by udev when I plug in the hard drive but it gets called before gnome mounts the disk. Any ideas?

What about doing a loop that checks if the drives is mounted? I'm not sure about the details on how to do this in bash, but surely it can be done:

mountpoint=/media/disk
while ( not exist $mountpoint )
sleep 3 (this waits 3 seconds)
done
rsync...

the exact scripting in bash I don't know, but the idea should work.