PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New vid card for old system

jamesdcarroll
May 7th, 2009, 06:22 AM
My video card (ATI Radeon 9700) has decided to give up the ghost and its time to get a new one. My system is a little older (in computer years) and I need to buy an AGP card. I realise that since it is a little on the old side I may not be able to get proprietary drivers (ATI discontinued support for the 9700) so what should I look for in a card to insure that it will work in Ibex and Jaunty and onward? OpenGL version?

Thanks!

james_xxx
May 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I do not know much about what your Radeon 9700 card was like, but I would be curious to know how it performed, and whether or not you used it with the native Open Source drivers.

On my part, I have two machines using AGP Radeon 9000 video adapters with OSS drivers, and I am VERY impressed. I have full use of compiz-fusion (and compositing in KDE and XFCE, as well), with 1400x900 resolution. I would recommend this card without hesitation. These are older cards, and you may be able to pick up a used one for a relatively small amount on Ebay, or a someplace similar.

I am actually thinking about buying a used, older PCI-based ATI card for an old AMD K6-2 machine that I still use off and on.