PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pros and Cons of Upgrade to 9.04

gatoguts
May 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I have Hardy 8.04 and was thinking about upgrading to 9.04. Other than some webcam/instant messaging issues, I haven't had any major problems. Are there good reasons to upgrade, or should I just leave well enough alone?

Mortus Pryde
May 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
It seems like the general feeling on these forums is to leave well enough alone as long as the version you are running is still supported, and my understanding is Hardy is supported till 2011? Intrepid is still supported for a good while longer to, I have that on my T42 Laptop. As for Jaunty I would greatly suggest you read up on your hardware, see if its still supported with proprietary drivers, or if open source drivers are to par, and if there are any outstanding bugs regarding that hardware.

I think most people have noticed a significant increase in speed using the ext4 file system in Jaunty, past that I am not aware of any glaring reasons to upgrade myself.

darth_indy
May 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I have personally noticed quite a few improvements, in areas that were small annoyances before. I recommend trying out a live CD and see what's different for you, and whether those differences are good or bad.

While Jaunty hasn't made a lot of large improvements, it has made quite a few smaller, under-the-hood ones. If you're happy with what you have, it won't hurt to keep Hardy. But if you try the Live CD and discover it fixes a few problems you've had, or you like the new features, I'd say go for it.

kansasnoob
May 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I have Hardy 8.04 and was thinking about upgrading to 9.04. Other than some webcam/instant messaging issues, I haven't had any major problems. Are there good reasons to upgrade, or should I just leave well enough alone?

Well, I'm running a multi-boot with Hardy, Jaunty, and Mint 7 RC1 (and Win XP). Even though Jaunty seems stable on my hardware I'm reluctant to give up Hardy because by the time 8.04.2 came out the pulse audio problems seemed to be resolved.

On one hand I love the newest and greatest, OTOH I love the stability of something tried and proven! Have you ever tried a multi-boot?

Didius Falco
May 7th, 2009, 12:03 AM
It really depends on what you use your pc for. If it's a mission-critical pc that you use for work, I'd leave well enough alone.

If it's your home pc and you enjoy being out on the frontiers, with all the potential problems that implies, but also with the joys of having the latest and greatest, then moving to 9.04 is the move to make.

I'd suggest doing the research Mortus suggested first, then downloading the ISO and burning a cd. You can run 9.04 directly from the Live CD to test it out, but to really give it a test drive, you'd need to install it.

If you have a spare 25-30 gigs of hard drive space, I'd install it separately to your 8.04 install. That way if you decide it isn't for you, it's much easier to get rid of it.

If, on the other hand, you find that it works well for you, you can simply copy your data over from 8.04 and use it full-time.

Regards,

Didius

chrisod
May 7th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I upgraded my wife's laptop (an old Toshiba Satellite) and then discovered there is an unresolved bug in 9,04 that rendered her laptop unusable due to font corruption. I wasted about six hours troubleshooting and trying different fixes before I gave up and downgraded her back to 8.04.

Jaunty is awesome on my Dell 600m. Suspend even works for the first time ever under Ubuntu for me now.

Generally speaking, I'd say leave well enough alone unless there is some new feature in Jaunty that you absolutely must have. If only I could follow my own advice...

Saghaulor
May 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I'm using Jaunty with ext4.

One of the most annoying things for me was the ungodly slow boot for Hardy and Intrepid. Jaunty has resolved that.

It's up to you really. If you're happy where you're at, stick with Hardy and the LTS. If you want more recent versions of apps and to play around with ext4, then obviously you should make the jump. I would recommend a clean install rather than an upgrade. I've had a history of sloppy upgrades that always resulted in having to do a clean install. Save yourself the time and headache and do it right the first time.

Linux&Gsus
May 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
As others already said, if it's a "mission critical" and it does what you want/need, why not using it instead of getting yourself into potential trouble.
Ask yourself, what's the benefit if you have all you need...?

If you are anything like me and you want to use newer apps (e.g. OOo3) but don't want to go through the hassle of compiling yourself or using backports or what ever other "tricks". Also, I'm slightly experimental and I simply enjoy the newness of it.
On the other hand I also had a desktop running 8.04 until a couple days ago, which now I installed Ubuntu Server on, to test and learn. I can very well work with both, I don't have to have the newest just for the sake of having it. If it works, it works. Period.

First thing you could do is to try a LiveCD or run it from a USB if your computer can do that (I believe that's faster than booting from CD) and see if your hardware is recognized and working.
Another thing that I can recommend to do is to install it on a spare HDD, that's not too much hassle to do, and you'll see if it all works or is easy to set up and tweak the way you want/need it to be. That's probably the best "real life" test you can do without touching your working environment. If it doesn't work, put in the old HDD and continue. If it works you can choose between just getting your data over or upgrade the current system you use.

In any case, make sure you have a good and working backup of your current data.

Having said that, now about the Pros and Cons.
Besides that no one ever can guarantee you that everything will work 100% fine after an update (things can always happen) there aren't really any cons with using newer stuff, assuming that investing the time to do the upgrade and set it up to your liking and needs isn't considered a con.
Unless of course, for what ever reason, you depend on a specific version of an app. Then you need to make sure you'll get that working in 9.04.

On the plus side, as I said earlier, you get the newer apps that are not in the repos for your current install right there, without any extra work. I might actually think that 9.04 is slightly faster/more responsive than 8.10. But that is only my feeling, not proven with any benchmarks, etc. It also can be so because I use KDE4 and 4.2 is definitely an improvement to 4.1. Also I had some things messed up, I know that, and I believe those got fixed (as I was hoping to) by upgrading to 9.04.
Usually though I upgrade my working machine earliest a month after the new release because I need it. But because of my messing around I needed to do something.
I personally have no issues with 9.04, so I'm happy that I upgraded, rather then re-installed the (for me) proven to work 8.10. However, because it's my everyday work horse, I don't care about EXT4 on that machine just now. I'll try it on a spare computer, but not on a computer I depend on daily.

Cheers,
L&G