PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] laptop, projector, vga, presenation <- angry

LexLuthor08
May 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Today I had to hold a quick presentation. I thought with my fresh ubuntu 9.04 install that should be a piece of cake. So I just plugged in the laptop to the projector, as all my previous colleagues with windows&mac did. Nothing happened. I tried Fn+F8, still nothing.
After several minutes of fumbling around and asking others for help whilst completely making a fool out of myself, I finally loaded the presentation on a usb stick and used a friends windows laptop.
I have a nvidia geforce go chip, so this cant possibly be a problem with drivers.

At home, I spent like 30 minutes to find out what the hell is wrong with my laptop. The only solution that I found were two years old forum entries suggesting complicated changes in the xorg.conf or rebooting the machine after plugging in the vga cable.

I am still not 100% sure that it is going to work on any projector when I have to use it the next time.
I have been using linux for over a year now, but it is still keeping me frustrated by failing with the most basic things you want it to do. I consider switching back to windows 7.

overdrank
May 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hi and if you have a nvidia graphics then you can use the nvidia-setting to setup your external monitor.
gksu nvidia-settings