PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 login screen nonfunctional

doft
May 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I upgraded to 9.04 this morning and the login screen does not work. It has little purple and green Ubuntu symbols across the top and is 3/4 black and white bars across the bottom. When I type my username and password nothing happens. Ideas?

Dave

b@sh_n3rd
May 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
It could be a problem that occured while upgrading or a prob with the vid. drivers. If Intrepid worked well, it's likely to be a "problem that occured while updating" that led to "problems with the vid. drivers"...I don't like upgrading now...always safer to do a clean install I think...

When you say, nothing happens, can you see what you are typing? I mean, something oughta be workin right?

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Is there a way for me to get past the login screen to get to the command line? Then maybe I can fix a few things.

Dave

b@sh_n3rd
May 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 to enter the command line at the login screen :D

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
There is absolutely nothing. Not when I type or when I use the mouse.

b@sh_n3rd
May 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Can you access the command line and login to bash?

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've tried ctrl alt F2 and there is nothing

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM
tell me how to do that please.

b@sh_n3rd
May 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
when you try to put "numlock" on and off by hitting that key, does it work? If it doesn't that means your system has frozen. If the cursor moves then it's obviously not frozen. This is what I do to check whether my system is frozen.

EDIT: I'm sorry, do what? enter the console? well, press and hold Ctrl+Alt and then hit F2.

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know of a way to avoid the opening graphic login screen and just get to the command line?

gpgp
May 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I am troubleshooting the same problem. It seems it has something to do with Hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and the xserver. It also seems the problem has been around a while, but im not finding a solution that works for me.

If indeed your keyboard is physicaly working (try numlock look for light) then you should be able to get to the second console by pressing ctrl+alt+f2. that should put you at a login screen. otherwise i hope you have 2 computers. you can also esc out of grub startup and select recovery and then get to a root prompt. from which you can reconfigure the xserver. thats as far as i have gotten.
sudo dhclient eth0
to get it online.
sorry i dont know anymore, please post any updates you find
gpgp

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Numlock does nothing. There is no cursor. Ctrl Alt F2 does nothing at the login screen. If I press it during the initial startup ubuntu screen I get the text version of start up. It seems completely locked at the login screen.

Dave

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
My keyboard physically works because when I hit ctrl alt F2 during the Ubuntu startup screen I get the text start up. When I press numlock at the login screen there is no light. Everything is dead there. Please tell me how to escape out of grub start up (i.e when I should push which keys) to choose recovery.

Dave

gpgp
May 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
push esc key when grub begins to load you have a couple seconds
then select the kernel in recovery mode
i guess my problem is similar to yours but not the same.
gpgp

doft
May 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks! Is it normal to have 3 Kernels to choose from in recovery mode? They're all 9.04. If I figure anything out, I'll post it.

Dave

mind0ne
May 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I also have a similar problem. I upgraded to 9.04 from 8.10 last night from the update manager. After the update/upgrade completed, I restarted the computer as instructed. When it came to the login screen my keyboard and mouse did not respond. I have tried restarting and using the recovery console to start dbus and hal to no success. I turn the numlock on to see when the keyboard shuts off and it is after Ubuntu is loaded but before the login screen appears. The computer is not frozen so some how 9.04 is disabling my mouse and keyboard. I am using a standard ps/2 keyboard and a 7 button usb mouse.

I have been crawling around the net since last night trying various things to fix this. So far nothing has changed.

doft
May 6th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Is it possible to do a clean install of Ubuntu without losing all your files?

gpgp
May 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I think it is if your home folder is its own partition.
i was just wondering that myself. i am also looking for a way to downgrade back to 8.04 from the command line.

gpgp

laithbsoul
May 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I have that same problem when I install any ubuntu to one of my pcs I just installed xubuntu then installed the gnome de

doft
May 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Let me know if you are able to do either. I think fixing could chew up more time than just redoing it.

RandallG
May 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Did not see if anyone responded so, if you hit Escape during the Grub login
you will have a choice to drop to console with or without networking.

mind0ne
May 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
What I ended up with is I found my live dvd for 8.10. I loaded ubuntu from the dvd and navigated to my actual home folder from the live os. I copied all the files I needed to save (pics, songs, and a couple of projects I had saved to the desktop) over to my second hd. Then I just did a fresh install of 8.10 so I could download the iso for 9.04 and did a clean install of that. Everything is working, but I still am curious as to why we are losing keyboard and mouse function after the upgrade. I wonder if it has to do with upgrading through the update manager.

Oh well, I am still so stoked about Ubuntu though. If this happend in windows, all my files would have been gone!!