PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB drive share has been removed after 9.04 upgrade

Matt26
May 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
after my upgrade to ubuntu 9.04 i noticed that my external USB hard drive no longer has a share set like it used to- how do set up the share on a USB drive again.

thanks.

cariboo907
May 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
How were you sharing the drive? With Samba or NFS?

Matt26
May 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM
How were you sharing the drive? With Samba or NFS?

with samba, i believe since all of my other NTFS drives are shared via samba.

Matt26
May 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
anyone?

Tom Mann
May 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Matt,

Do you not have the option to share the drive on the right click menu (right click over the hard disk)?

Failing that, Ubuntu may have backed up your original configuration when you upgraded, which you can find with one of the two following commands in Terminal:

ls -R /etc | grep smb
ls -R /etc | grep samba

You *could*(YMMV) try to restore the backed up file over the current file. This could lead to problems, and I can't tell you the filename at the moment as I'm not at home :(

NB: Anyone tell me if I got the ls syntax right?

Matt26
May 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hi Matt,

Do you not have the option to share the drive on the right click menu (right click over the hard disk)?

Failing that, Ubuntu may have backed up your original configuration when you upgraded, which you can find with one of the two following commands in Terminal:

ls -R /etc | grep smb
ls -R /etc | grep samba

You *could*(YMMV) try to restore the backed up file over the current file. This could lead to problems, and I can't tell you the filename at the moment as I'm not at home :(

NB: Anyone tell me if I got the ls syntax right?

no, i do not have that option... i will take a look for the files you mentioned and see what happens.

shouldn't i have the right-click option for sharing the drive or at least the Sharing tab within the Properties dialogue for the drive? how would i go about accessing these options otherwise?

Tom Mann
May 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Ok... Got it.

The file that has been overwritten should be /etc/samba/smb.conf
If you run
ls /etc/sambayou may have more than one file that reads along the lines of smb.conf.

If you're really struggling post the output of the above command here.