PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Dimension 5150 Display/GUI issues

APRyason
May 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and have recently installed version 8 in a 3 year old Dell Dimension 5150. During boot up and installation all dialog boxes displayed normally at the screen's native resolution, I think 1200x1600. As soon as installation was finished and the computer restarted, the GUI appears to be corrupted. All the dropdown menus for the system and preferences seem to work, but the desktop is black. any attempt to launch Firefox, for example, gives me a window of graphic gibberish and/or causes the system to crash. I solved the problem by reducing the screen to 640x480, which isn't great, but usable for now. What is the source for drivers that may be available for this machine's display adaptor? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

overdrank
May 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and have recently installed version 8 in a 3 year old Dell Dimension 5150. During boot up and installation all dialog boxes displayed normally at the screen's native resolution, I think 1200x1600. As soon as installation was finished and the computer restarted, the GUI appears to be corrupted. All the dropdown menus for the system and preferences seem to work, but the desktop is black. any attempt to launch Firefox, for example, gives me a window of graphic gibberish and/or causes the system to crash. I solved the problem by reducing the screen to 640x480, which isn't great, but usable for now. What is the source for drivers that may be available for this machine's display adaptor? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi and welcome, what is the model of the graphics card?
You may look under system, administration, hardware drivers to see if any drivers are available.