PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Problem with configuring broadband connection on Kubuntu 9.04

sameer.chebbi
May 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hi all,
I'm a complete newbie to Linux and just switched over from windows 2 weeks ago. Earlier i was using Kubuntu 8.10 and upgraded to 9.04 a week ago. In kubuntu 8.10 I connected to the net using the pon dsl-provider command on Konsole. It worked fine.

However in 9.0.4, every time i boot the computer, i needed to once again configure the connection using the pppoeconf command and then establish the connection, unlike in 8.10 where i did it only once.
During a session, if i disconnected (using poff) and connect again using pon dsl-provider, the connection would get established and worked fine. But if I restarted the system, i'd need to go through pppoeconf again.

Recently while configuring using pppoeconf, i accidentally enabled activation on boot. It worked fine for a few days and I didn't need going through ppoeconf every time to connect.

However, since 2 days, I haven't been able to connect to the net, although I haven't changed any settings. I can connect to the net in XP with absolutely no probs. When i try pon dsl-provider, there is no "unable to connect" or any kinda error msg. But when i open the browser, it says address not found.

Please help me out
My networking knowledge isn't that good and I've been following all the procedures and commands mechanically. Sure I'm making efforts to know more about operating Linux. If someone could provide a step by step procedure, i'd be grateful to him/her. I use a broadband connection by the way..

About my connection - I use a UT300R2U ADSL modem/router, connected via ethernet . In windows the DNS server addresses are obtained automatically. So is the IP address.
Please provide step by step instructions to solve this prob as i'm a total newbie. Is there a different way other than using pppoeconf?? How do connect using the network manager??
SAMEER

Didius Falco
May 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Sameer,

I don't use Kubuntu, but I a step-by-step guide for you that looks like it should do the trick. Look for the last two posts:

http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/224426-not-able-configure-internet-connection-kubuntu.html

I hope it helps...

Regards,

Didius