PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] simple scp to /var/www without extra steps

NewbuntuUser777
May 4th, 2009, 04:11 AM
If I use scp to transfer files to an ubuntu lamp server it automotically puts the files in the home directory.

Pages are served from /var/www in apache, so I want to scp the files there. When I try I get 'permission denied'.

I saw in a thread in another forum that one must scp the files to the home directory, then login with SSH and manually copy the files from home to /var/www.

This seems extreme to me. I want to be able to as simply as possible send files from my desktop to the server so I can open them in a browser. Simple I think.

I know there are lots of ways to do this, but are the best ways?

Stupendoussteve
May 4th, 2009, 04:14 AM
You get permission denied because your user doesn't have access to that directory. You could add the user to the group that owns /var/www and make sure that directory is read/write/execute for the group, then you should be able to put files in there.

John Cheng
May 4th, 2009, 05:05 AM
What is the exact command you used? Like the previous poster said, this may be a problem with your user not having access to /var/www.

defaria
May 4th, 2009, 06:09 AM
If you don't have write access to /var/www then you can't do it. If you have access to root then the following should work:

$ scp mynewwebpage.html root@<server>:/var/www