PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] can't set up virtual host for web site testing

quixote
May 4th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I just cannot get my server to stop going to my public website when I want it to go to my test site. I'd like to be able to work on, for instance, "molvray.com" locally, and then upload the files. However, if I have the site on localhost, then all the links, such as molvray.com/images, go straight back to the real site. So I want a virtual host that I can call "molvray.com" while I'm testing. Once I'm done testing, I want to go back to the normal condition where "molvray.com" refers to the public site.

Okay. So far, so good. There's just the thing here at ApacheMySQLPHP - Community Docs (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP#head-8c16bcd2517fa5b9fa35d616f00d3bb59e981373).

Except no matter what I do, I cannot get it to work. Typing the URL "molvray.com" always goes to the real site, not my test site on localhost. Why? Why, why why??

Here's what I've done:

"molvray.com" in /etc/apache2/sites-available/molvray.com

# Virtual host
NameVirtualHost *
# ServerName www.molvray.com
# DocumentRoot /var/www/ /*I'm just using the default doc root*/
# ServerAdmin webfoot@molvray.com

<VirtualHost *>
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

ServerAdmin webfoot@molvray.com
ServerName www.molvray.com
ServerAlias molvray.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/

<Directory /var/www/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

# ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
# <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
# AllowOverride None
# Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
# Order allow,deny
# Allow from all
# </Directory>
#
ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
# alert, emerg.
LogLevel warn

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
<Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

The only thing I changed in the "default" sites-available entry was VirtualServer * (instead of *:80 which kept giving error messages that "NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts")

I also commented out the NameVirtualHost line in ports.conf, also to get rid of an error message.

# If you just change the port or add more ports here, you will likely also
# have to change the VirtualHost statement in
# /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default

#NameVirtualHost *:80
Listen 80

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
# SSL name based virtual hosts are not yet supported, therefore no
# NameVirtualHost statement here
Listen 443
</IfModule>

I used "$sudo a2dissite default" to stop that, and "$sudo a2ensite molvray.com" to start the new one. I reloaded apache2. No luck. I rebooted. Still no luck.

I must be missing some perfectly obvious step, but I'm damned if I can see it. I hope someone can help!

bluefrog
May 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
/etc/hosts

molvray.com must be the name of one of your IP

quixote
May 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM
bluefrog- I tried that, or I think I did.

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 sphinx #my computer name
127.0.0.1 molvray.com

I also tried "127.0.0.1 localhost molvray.com" and giving the virtual host its own IP: "127.0.2.1 molvray.com"

None of those seemed to have any effect, which mystified me. Localhost was still localhost (which was good!), and molvray.com still always went to the great wide world.

I use DHCP for my network, in case that's relevant.

Added: what I haven't done is give molvray.com an IP after figuring out the new "sites-available" way of doing things. I'll go try that right now.

quixote
May 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yup, that was it. I'd removed the "molvray.com" from /etc/hosts, because it didn't seem to do anything. But now that I have the correct info in sites-available, just putting molvray.com after localhost is all it seems to need.

Thanks!

(Note to anyone who might be trying the same thing, don't forget to restart networking (sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart) *and* to reload the page in the browser (shift-ctrl-r). It took me a few tries before I figured out why Firefox kept giving me the local page after I'd switched back to non-testing mode ....)