PDA

View Full Version : Creating .debs - not exactly easy

duncan_bayne
May 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to offer an application with a .deb installer, and am having limited success.

The application itself is pretty simple; it contains a .NET .EXE (to run on Mono), a dependency upon the Mono runtime, a couple of icon files, and a licence file.

All I want to do is:

copy the .exe, licence and icons into /usr/share/myapp
copy a shim .sh (that basically calls mono /usr/share/myapp/myapp.exe "$@") into /usr/bin
set up a file association in KDE and Gnome
add a menu item in KDE and Gnome

I've been to the #ubuntu-mutu IRC channel, & the helpful folk there pointed me at the debhelper suite. However, they look a little ... heavy ... for my purposes, and seem to be heavily dependent upon source being available and in the classic 'configure, make, make install' vein. At least one poster (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2142775&postcount=4) reckons that what I'm trying to do isn't what debhelper was designed to do.

My current solution is a shell script that creates a directory tree containing my files, then runs dpkg --build in it. As far as I can tell I can get the rest (menu items, file associations) going by following these instructions from Sun (http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/integrating_gnome.html), at least on Mono.

So I'm not stumped ... so much as wondering if there is something I'm missing? Is creating packages for Ubuntu really this awkward?

directhex
May 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to offer an application with a .deb installer, and am having limited success.

The application itself is pretty simple; it contains a .NET .EXE (to run on Mono), a dependency upon the Mono runtime, a couple of icon files, and a licence file.

All I want to do is:

copy the .exe, licence and icons into /usr/share/myapp
copy a shim .sh (that basically calls mono /usr/share/myapp/myapp.exe "$@") into /usr/bin
set up a file association in KDE and Gnome
add a menu item in KDE and Gnome

I've been to the #ubuntu-mutu IRC channel, & the helpful folk there pointed me at the debhelper suite. However, they look a little ... heavy ... for my purposes, and seem to be heavily dependent upon source being available and in the classic 'configure, make, make install' vein. At least one poster (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2142775&postcount=4) reckons that what I'm trying to do isn't what debhelper was designed to do.

My current solution is a shell script that creates a directory tree containing my files, then runs dpkg --build in it. As far as I can tell I can get the rest (menu items, file associations) going by following these instructions from Sun (http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/integrating_gnome.html), at least on Mono.

So I'm not stumped ... so much as wondering if there is something I'm missing? Is creating packages for Ubuntu really this awkward?

I suggest you take a look at an existing binary-only package, e.g. a font package, for how to do this - e.g. ttf-inconsolata. If your assembly is fully managed, then you want to keep things in the "indep" rules and make sure your debian/control is "architecture: all". If you do arch-specific things, then use "arch" and "architecture: i386 amd64" etc. Oh, and remove the font-related rules from the inconsolata example.

Please be sure to use a dependency on ${cli:Depends}, and use the dh_clideps rule in binary-arch or binary-indep to track PROPER Mono dependencies, don't do anything lazy by hand. dh_clideps works on binaries, not source, producing a list of required packages based on assemblyrefs.

I think dh_installmenu deals with icons, but I could be misremembering

duncan_bayne
May 3rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks :-) For anyone following this thread, the ttf-inconsolata source can be had from svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-fonts/packages/ttf-inconsolata.

duncan_bayne
May 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Right, I think I've got it. I've produced a set of files & a rules file that in turn produces a .deb that is deemed valid by lintian. Great tool that.

duncan_bayne
May 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Right, I've got my .desktop file working properly - meaning that I get a nice icon in Applications -> Accessories. However, I am now totally stuck on adding a MIME type.

In my debian directory I have (amongst other things like manpages etc.)

myapp.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=MyApp
Comment=Does stuff
Exec=myapp %F
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Icon=/usr/share/myapp/app.png
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TextEditor
MimeType=application/myapp

myapp.keys

application/myapp:
description=Stuff
icon_filename=/usr/share/myapp/doc.png
default_action=application
short_list_application_ids_for_novice_user_level=m yapp
category=Documents/Text

myapp.mime

application/myapp
ext: myapp

myapp.applications

myapp
command=myapp
name=myapp
expects_uris=false
requires_terminal=false
mime_types=application/myapp
can_open_multiple_files=false

In install, I specify where these files are to go:

debian/myapp.desktop /usr/share/applications
debian/myapp.mime /usr/share/mime-info
debian/myapp.keys /usr/share/mime-info
debian/myapp.applications /usr/share/application-registry

I have used dh_installmime to generate snippets for my postinst script (and my postrm, which isn't relevant here):

postinst

#!/bin/sh
# Automatically added by dh_desktop
if [ "$1" = "configure" ] && which update-desktop-database >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
update-desktop-database -q
fi
# End automatically added section
# Automatically added by dh_installmime
if [ "$1" = "configure" ] && [ -x "`which update-mime 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
update-mime
fi
# End automatically added section

This is all assembled by my rules file:

binary-indep:
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_clean -k
dh_install
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_makeclilibs
dh_clideps
dh_installchangelogs
dh_installman debian/myapp.1
dh_installmime
dh_desktop
dh_compress
dh_installdefoma
dh_fixperms
dh_installdeb
dh_gencontrol
dh_md5sums
dh_builddeb

Everything works, except that GNOME doesn't pick up on the new MIME type, even after a restart. For what it's worth my .deb seems to be screwing up /etc/mailcap too. I see the following in it, which isn't in keeping with the rest of the entries:

multipart/x-zip; /usr/bin/file-roller '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
application/x-troff-man; /usr/bin/nroff -mandoc -Tutf8; copiousoutput; print=/usr/bin/nroff -mandoc -Tutf8 | print text/plain:-
application/myapp
ext: myapp
application/x-ogg; rhythmbox '%s'; description="Ogg Vorbis audio"; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"; nametemplate=%s.ogg

The only warnings I'm getting from lintian are:

W: myapp: maintainer-script-ignores-errors postinst
W: myapp: maintainer-script-ignores-errors postrm

... so now I am totally stumped. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I think I must be missing something _so_ simple here ... odd that lintian isn't picking it up though.

duncan_bayne
September 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I finally figured this out, & I've provided a breakdown of the resultant .deb structure here:

Deploying Proprietary Java Software on Ubuntu Linux (http://www.offbyzero.com/resources/java_deb_ubuntu)

Hope it helps anyone else who gets stuck on the same issues.

(FYI, since I my previous post we re-wrote the app in Java due to very poor performance and Mac OS X stability issues in Mono.)

internalkernel
September 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Haha! Thank you! I think you figured it out for both of us.... lol... I've been struggling with something similar, as I posted here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1265032).

Just trying to roll a simple deb package that configures some system settings and drops a couple scripts into /usr/bin. I was failing miserably when using dh_make and debuild; some measure of success with dpkg --build... I knew there was a better way.

Thanks for posting that how-to...

MrQuincle
August 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
This is an old post, but one of the few actually illustrating how to install a desktop icon from a Debian package.

I added to my robot3d1.dirs file (very unlikely that they don't already exist though):

usr/share/desktop
usr/share/pixmaps

And to the robot3d1.install file:

debian/robot3d.desktop usr/share/applications
debian/robot3d.png usr/share/pixmaps

The desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Robot3D Simulator
Name[nl]=Robot3D Simulator
GenericName=Simulator
GenericName[nl]=Simulator
Comment=A 3D robot simulator
Comment[nl]=Een 3D robot simulator
Exec=GameStart Robot3D %u
Icon=robot3d
Terminal=false
Categories=Science;Physics;Education;
Type=Application

What I haven't been able to figure out is where the "Categories" come from, and how they are parsed. If I leave for example "Education;" out of it, it will not show up in the "Science" menu, but in the "Others" menu.

Oh, yeah, and use sudo update-desktop-database to apply changes. It will (normally) run automatically if you install a .deb package.

SevenMachines
August 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
What I haven't been able to figure out is where the "Categories" come from, and how they are parsed. If I leave for example "Education;" out of it, it will not show up in the "Science" menu, but in the "Others" menu.

Try the spec 'registered categories' list
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

MrQuincle
August 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Try the spec 'registered categories' list
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

Cool, I didn't know there was even a Robotics additional category:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

So, even though "Robotics" has related category "Science, Education", both are needed in the Category field. The last because it is one of the few Main Category possibilities.