PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] choppy video in vlc using jaunty

orwellus
May 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
I'm having a problem with vlc in Jaunty. When I try to play a dvd, the video is really choppy. DVD will play fine using totem-xine, mplayer, and GNOME player, so I don't think it's a codec problem. I had the same problem with vlc in Ibex, so I'm thinking it might be the new version of vlc that is available in synaptic and add/remove. I did a fresh install of jaunty, and dvd is still choppy in vlc. Any ideas on how to fix this?

jbrown96
May 2nd, 2009, 04:19 AM
I'm having a problem with vlc in Jaunty. When I try to play a dvd, the video is really choppy. DVD will play fine using totem-xine, mplayer, and GNOME player, so I don't think it's a codec problem. I had the same problem with vlc in Ibex, so I'm thinking it might be the new version of vlc that is available in synaptic and add/remove. I did a fresh install of jaunty, and dvd is still choppy in vlc. Any ideas on how to fix this?

In tools--->Preferences--->video there are options for the output mode. Try some. I've had luck with X11 and openGL (Xvideo is usually the default).

orwellus
May 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. I tried those video output options you recommended, as well as some of the others and still no go. DVD choppy, or it wouldn't play at all.