PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running a windows java program (T4) for tax...

saibalter
May 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hi, i'm having trouble running the T4 desktop application which can be found at the canadian revenue agency's website:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/rf/t4/dsktp/dwnld-eng.html

It requires java virtual machine, which i have downloaded and installed into ubuntu 8.0.4...

but i'm unable to emulate the windows .exe with wine because it says it does not detect java virtual machine. is there anyway to run this program to do taxes?

Volt9000
May 2nd, 2009, 03:36 AM
You'll probably have to install the Java Virtual Machine in WINE as well.

Bölvağur
May 2nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
looks like a fail to me.
they made a java program that should be able to run on linux and mac, but failed by not using the standard, .jar type of file but an .exe file to install with -.-

so you'll have to install wine (find it under applications → add/remove) and then to run windows programs you just right click them and select to open them with wine.

Follow the instructions on the site, install the java environment to be able to run java programs, then install that program and then you can be happy :) But you do all this through wine, but not nativly in linux.

pi.boy.travis
May 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
If you install the Ubuntu-restricted-extras package you will get the Java runtime environment and Java development environment. That should do it.

llamabr
May 2nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
If you install the Ubuntu-restricted-extras package you will get the Java runtime environment and Java development environment. That should do it.

Looks like the problem is on the server side, though.

I'm not sure it's worth it trying to fight with wine to get this running. beyond the simplest things, wine often breaks.

pi.boy.travis
May 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
You could try to run Windows in a virtual machine with VirtualBox.

However, you will need a WinXP disk. . .

Volt9000
May 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
looks like a fail to me.
they made a java program that should be able to run on linux and mac, but failed by not using the standard, .jar type of file but an .exe file to install with -.-

Wow... just wow. This is beyond fail.
Developing software in a platform-independent language only to throttle its ability to be run on any machine by encasing it in a platform-specific installer.

Try this-- I installed the program in my WinXP virtual machine and just zipped the contents of the folder and attached it here. Extract it to its own directory and run it from the command-line as follows:

java -jar T4Internet.jar

This works from both Windows and Linux. I haven't tested the program fully but it seems to work anyways.

Good luck...

[Edit]
Crap, can't attach, too big, I'll try to split it up..

[Edit2]
On a sidenote/rant, I must say this is typical of the Canadian Government: favouring the Microsoft platform, since they release this program with an exe-only installer, and have parts of their website which will ONLY work in Internet Explorer (or more specifically, won't let you proceed if they detect a non-IE web browser.)

Volt9000
May 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Ok here they are...

Just download all 3 attachments to one directory and type the following in a terminal window:

cat T4software1.zip T4software2.zip T4software3.zip > T4software.zip

Then just extract T4software.zip to an empty directory and run it as per my previous post.
Hope this works for you!