PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making Ubuntu Partion Bigger

akrchstn
May 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM
I just installed a 20 gig Ubuntu partion using wubi and in a few days I was wondering if I could just make the partion bigger so it takes up the whole HD instead of re-installing ubuntu to take up the whole HD.

EDIT: After I first installed a restricted driver thing popped up but I closed it, is there any way I can bring that up again without restarting?

Niniel
May 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
Sure you can; GPartEd is your friend (System/Administration/Partition Editor).
Best use a Live CD for this though, since it won't work on mounted disks. With a live CD, you can unmount your hd prior to working on it.

test_test_testing
May 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
EDIT: should've read the OP's post a bit more carefully :D (ignore below)

I just installed a 20 gig Ubuntu partion using wubi and in a few days I was wondering if I could just make the partion bigger so it takes up the whole HD instead of re-installing ubuntu to take up the whole HD.

Wubi creates a virtual hard-drive (actually just a file) on your Windows partition, therefore its size is limited by the size of your Windows partition.

As for resizing, there should be some kind of shortcut on your desktop that's like "resize/transfer virtual disk" or something, that allows you to either resize or move to its own partition. I took this route quite a while ago, but can't remember the precise details. :)

beastrace91
May 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM
To bring up restricted hardware drivers goto system -> administration -> hardware drivers

~Jeff

pastalavista
May 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM
For the hardware driver thing, go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

drs305
May 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
Unless something has changed in wubi, you can't resize the file once you have installed it. You can use LVPM to move your wubi install/allow you put things elsewhere or you can move your /home to another location.

Here is a link to the wubi wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

akrchstn
May 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Meh, I'm only waiting until May 12th to fully install ubuntu. Right now I guess I'll just get back into the groove of ubuntu.